SSID not seen by PC's

I am working with one of my clients that purchased an Xi-1 WAP about 6 months ago. The unit has worked fine since installation. Recently the device can only be seen by Apple devices and not by Windows. All the PC's in the office cannot see the SSID to connect to it, but all the Apple laptops and mobile devices have no issues seeing and connecting to the WAP. I have updated the device firmware to 2.0.0.0.370 and still the issue remains. Your help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Tagged:

Comments

• Hi @MikeFisher,

Can you please let us know If the same PC's were able to connect with the SSID's before ? If so where there any software upgrades on the PC's recently.

Thanks
    Ramesh

• MikeFisherMikeFisher Member Posts: 4

Yes all five PC's were able to connect before. Just a windows update nothing else.

• vybhavramvybhavram Xpert, Moderator Posts: 1,063

Hello @MikeFisher ,

If the SSIDs are being broadcast by Apple clients , they should be visible to the Windows clients. Can you please install a free tool like Acrylic Wi-Fi on your windows machines and scan the wireless networks and see if you are able to discover this WLAN?

Regards,
    Vybhav

I have scanned with Acrylic WiFi on three of the PC's that cannot see the network and with Acrylic they cannot see the SSID either. I have checked the all of the WiFi adapters on the machines and all of them but one are Atheros AR9485 or 9285 nics. The other machine is a RealTek RTL8191SE wireless nic. I have reviewed and uninstalled all of the Windows updates that were downloaded since the problem began and still unable to see the SSID. I truly believe this WAP has lost its mind and we need to replace it. How do we start this process?

Hello @MikeFisher ,

I still have my doubts if this an issue with the settings on the laptops. Can we have a meeting sometime tomorrow? All I would need is access to your APs via SSH and access to the Window's laptop.

I can setup a webex meeting and send the link to you. Can you please suggest a date,time that would be convenient for you?

Regards,
    Vybhav

Tomorrow or Friday are out because I am on other projects. We could do something on Monday 8-24-15 in the morning or afternoon? Let me know if that will work.

Hello @MikeFisher ,

Sure thing. I'll set something up. Can you send me your email ID via DM?

Regards,
    Vybhav

• jbeckerjbecker Member Posts: 6

We are having an issue with an Xi-1 access point connecting to a single device.
    The device in question is a Symbol handheld wireless inventory scanner and is set to run on 5GHz band. This device has been replaced twice and verified to connect on other wireless networks.

We have removed the SSID from the AP, rebooted the AP, restarted the AP to default, loaded a second SSID, and manually established the SSID to be 5GHz only (both 20 and 40 band) as well as manually setting the channel to 36 as this is within the documented range for the inventory scanner.

The ONLY time the scanner has seen the wireless network was when the AP was defaulted and we saw the default Xclaim setup SSID. Any other SSID is not able to be seen by the scanner. Please let me know when we can set a time to be on site with a tech support session in order to get this client's issues resolved!

Both Apple and Android devices are able to connect to the network as we were testing. I can be reached at the email above anytime or at my office phone listed. Please let us know that this message has been received and when we can expect an official response.

Thank you.

• rameshcrameshc Member, Xpert, Moderator Posts: 273

For the benefit of other customers. Response from the customer for the above post.

We found the issue was with the settings of the specific device that was not able to allow new connections. I apologize for the confusion!

Thanks
    Ramesh