Managed Services Provider Portal

alternetivoalternetivo Member Posts: 18

Hello,

there is a problem with APs disconnecting from CloudManager. We have a customer that uses Managed Services Provider Portal for multiple customers of his own. Every customer has its own tenant and there are multiple locations, usually one AP per location, about 150 locations/APs in total.

Summary of the problem:
At first AP is connected to CloudManager and everything works fine, but after couple of hours connection to CloudManager is lost and AP appears as Offline. Sometimes connection is reestablished, but it happens in random time intervals, in some cases the couple of days. This behavior is unpredictable and it really complicates providing of managed service.

Do you have any experience with this kind of behavior or what could cause it? Is there any best practice solution to this problem?

This customer intends to increase the number of locations where APs are installed, so it is really important ** to find a solution **as soon as possible. As APs are disconnected from CloudManager, there is no way of changing the configuration or monitoring the wireless network on remote locations

Thank you in advance for quick answer and for your cooperation.

Best regards,
Alternetivo Support Team.

Tagged:

Comments

• vybhavramvybhavram Xpert, Moderator Posts: 1,063

Hello @alternetivo ,

Do you have access to any one of these APs that is currently offline? If yes, please DM your availability for a webex meting sometime. I can login to these APs and check why they are going offline.

Also, once they go offline , do they come back online on their own or do you have to reboot them?

Regards,
    Vybhav

• alternetivoalternetivo Member Posts: 18

Hello @Vybhav,

currently I don't have an access to any of these APs. I will try to get the access ASAP and then we can arrange the webex meeting to figure that out.

About that coming back online, it is really random. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. We don't see any pattern in that. Rebooting supposedly work, but only for a while, then AP disconnects again.

But I think you agree that rebooting APs at the remote locations everytime it happens is not much of a solution.

So I will contact you about the time and date of a webex meeting. For now thank you very much for cooperation.

Best regards,
    Alternetivo Support Team

@alternetivo

We agree. Rebooting the APs is definitely not a solution. I just asked to gather some more symptoms to help us identify the root cause.

Sure. Once you have access to an AP , please DM me and we can have a webex meeting.

Regards,
    Vybhav

Hello again,

in the meantime (till we get the access to the disconnected AP), is there any possibility to check the logs in CloudManager based on the serial number or the MAC address of the AP to try to find out why it disconnects? Could you look it up if I sent you some of them?

BR,
    Alternetivo Support Team

Hello @alternetivo ,

Currently, we do not store any logs from the APs in cloudmanager. We would have to get access to the APs to check why they are going offline.

Regards,
    Vybhav

Hello Vybhav,

okay, I understand. Unfortunately, I haven't managed to simulate the situation with the disconnected AP. It happens to our customer in most cases where ADSL connectivity is used. Here are some questions we would like you to answer if possible:

1. Is there any way how to connect to AP via SSH? Is there any login credentials once the AP is under CloudManager management?
    2. How and how often does the AP communicate with the CloudManager? Could you tell me which ports and protocols are used?

I would like to remind you that there is a project running with these disconnecting APs and we would be glad to solve the problem ASAP.
    Thank you for the answer.

Best regards,
    Alternetivo Support Team

Hello @alternetivo ,

Thank you for the questions. Here are the answers

1. Yes. We can login to the AP but the username, password is not publicly available. Xclaim support should be the only one with that ability. The reason why this is configured this way to rule out misconfiguration.
    2. Any changes made in CloudManager affecting the APs is pushed instanteneously to the APs . However, the APs also reach out to cloudmanager once every 15 minutes and check if there is a change in config and download it if there is. The AP uses TCP 443(SSL) , UDP 123(NTP) and ICMP to communicate with the cloud.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Vybhav

• MrJohnKMrJohnK Member Posts: 30

I too am having similar issues. Luckily they are deployed where I have technicians available who can stop by and reboot them when needed. I had one off line last week where 20 are deployed. This week, another off line at a different site where only 5 are deployed. Both are using the MSP portal.

If I had them powered from managed PoE ethernet switches, I could probably narrow it down to power-cycle the ethernet port remotely via VPN, but many of them are locally powered, so remote reboot isn't an option.

Any progress you make, please update here if you can.

Thanks.