WAV asked me how it's going, My Review

TechiesTechies Member Posts: 3
My distributor asked me how it was going today. Forgive me this response was an email and is very unprofessional but it has some good info on what to expect.

John Doe,

I have mixed feelings about the product as a whole. I like it when the app works, I despise it when it doesn’t. The app started crashing frequently on my Galaxy S5 when I configured the Xi3 yesterday.

A lot of times the harmony app won’t find the AP right away which may prompt you to check which wireless network your device is connected to. After confirming the connection and going back to harmony it requires a password to log back in after only 3 seconds of just switching to another app. The app also requires a strong password which can be annoying to type in on mobile devices.

Here is a "short" summary of what happened to me yesterday.

After logging into the app it scans for the AP, this can be a timely process. Then if you want to check the status of the AP you may click on it, when you click back, again it scans for the AP, again waiting… Then you may want to edit the AP and assign an SSID to it, it says the AP is not responding. I check the phone settings to confirm that the device is still connected to the correct network, log back into the app and wait for it to scan for AP again.. Again I click to edit the AP and assign an SSID although I forgot to create the SSID first so I click back, again it scans for all AP on the network, waiting…. Again….

Skipping forward maybe 20 steps later… (you will understand why in a minute). I tried to apply the firmware updates hoping that would resolve some of my problems but it never did apply.

By this time my grip on the phone is starting to get a lot tighter as frustration builds up. So this time I click edit, then WLAN to create an SSID and it says, "Loading…" 1.. 2… 3.. 4.. 5.. forever… CRASH. Mother !@## the phone nearly launches at this point.

All Xclaim products should come with a wrist strap for your phone or tablet similar to the wii strap when configuring the Xclaim AP. I imagine, the only downside is, I would chuck the phone and it would bounce back and hit me in the head. At that point, the only emotional relief I would find satisfying is to fling the phone by the wire above my head in a circle violently.

The app crashed 16 times when trying to create a new SSID and I reset the AP twice before the entire config finally took. I think it took roughly two miserable hours to configure.

I would rather convert all my emails into binary than experience that again.

The first time I configured the Xi1 AP it worked beautifully in only 5 to 10 minutes. The AP still had the long annoying unavoidable scan times but it didn’t crash once. When I wanted to make a change to the Xi1 AP I had to reset and start over and then encountered problems with the config not taking a couple times but it wasn’t too bad. The Xi3 was on a different network range than the previously saved Xi1 AP config so I wonder if that is why the app started crashing when trying to create a new SSID.

Sometimes when you assign an SSID and save it, it does not actually get received by the AP but the phone still shows the proper config. It does not matter how many times you check, uncheck the SSID and save that config it will never get to the AP. You have to reset the AP and start over and hope the config makes it to the AP.

When using the app you are looking at a config on your phone, not the actual config of the AP. The AP also cannot be accessed through any traditional protocols so if the app doesn’t work you are out of luck. Are they maintaining their app to be compatible with all versions of android and IOS? I highly doubt it.

With all these little problems, you can imagine how many times you are double checking that you are connected to the correct wireless network, then logging into the harmony app again, then waiting for it to scan again…. What a freaking nightmare.

Once you are past the initial config it is pretty cool but you really need to be patient to get there sometimes.

As far as the hardware goes, I do not think the Xi3 will even be comparable to home AC routers. Most of these AC routers have more throughput and beamforming and I just learned from the xclaim forum last night that the Xi3 does not have beamforming.

Wireless media bridges or wireless switches also do not work with this product just like with Ruckus. DHCP requests of a device connected to a wireless bridge do not get fulfilled. If you set a static on those devices it can be buggy but does eventually work.

There is no manual that shows that there is a tiny pin hole that releases the included mount. When you attach the bizarre mount to see how it works it will not come back off until you use the key to release it. I am pretty sure the mount is designed to be used with a rail system but there is no reference to this or any way to purchase these rails from the xclaim website. I could be missing something but a manual would clear all that up pretty quick.

I wanted to use xclaim for home residential clients but I don’t think I will until the product matures a little.

Comments

• ericsrericsr Member Posts: 457
    edited December 2014
    Techies said:

My distributor asked me how it was going today. Forgive me this response was an email and is very unprofessional but it has some good info on what to expect.

John Doe,

I have mixed feelings about the product as a whole. I like it when the app works, I despise it when it doesn’t. The app started crashing frequently on my Galaxy S5 when I configured the Xi3 yesterday.

A lot of times the harmony app won’t find the AP right away which may prompt you to check which wireless network your device is connected to. After confirming the connection and going back to harmony it requires a password to log back in after only 3 seconds of just switching to another app. The app also requires a strong password which can be annoying to type in on mobile devices.

Here is a "short" summary of what happened to me yesterday.

After logging into the app it scans for the AP, this can be a timely process. Then if you want to check the status of the AP you may click on it, when you click back, again it scans for the AP, again waiting… Then you may want to edit the AP and assign an SSID to it, it says the AP is not responding. I check the phone settings to confirm that the device is still connected to the correct network, log back into the app and wait for it to scan for AP again.. Again I click to edit the AP and assign an SSID although I forgot to create the SSID first so I click back, again it scans for all AP on the network, waiting…. Again….

Skipping forward maybe 20 steps later… (you will understand why in a minute). I tried to apply the firmware updates hoping that would resolve some of my problems but it never did apply.

By this time my grip on the phone is starting to get a lot tighter as frustration builds up. So this time I click edit, then WLAN to create an SSID and it says, "Loading…" 1.. 2… 3.. 4.. 5.. forever… CRASH. Mother !@## the phone nearly launches at this point.

All Xclaim products should come with a wrist strap for your phone or tablet similar to the wii strap when configuring the Xclaim AP. I imagine, the only downside is, I would chuck the phone and it would bounce back and hit me in the head. At that point, the only emotional relief I would find satisfying is to fling the phone by the wire above my head in a circle violently.

The app crashed 16 times when trying to create a new SSID and I reset the AP twice before the entire config finally took. I think it took roughly two miserable hours to configure.

I would rather convert all my emails into binary than experience that again.

The first time I configured the Xi1 AP it worked beautifully in only 5 to 10 minutes. The AP still had the long annoying unavoidable scan times but it didn’t crash once. When I wanted to make a change to the Xi1 AP I had to reset and start over and then encountered problems with the config not taking a couple times but it wasn’t too bad. The Xi3 was on a different network range than the previously saved Xi1 AP config so I wonder if that is why the app started crashing when trying to create a new SSID.

Sometimes when you assign an SSID and save it, it does not actually get received by the AP but the phone still shows the proper config. It does not matter how many times you check, uncheck the SSID and save that config it will never get to the AP. You have to reset the AP and start over and hope the config makes it to the AP.

When using the app you are looking at a config on your phone, not the actual config of the AP. The AP also cannot be accessed through any traditional protocols so if the app doesn’t work you are out of luck. Are they maintaining their app to be compatible with all versions of android and IOS? I highly doubt it.

With all these little problems, you can imagine how many times you are double checking that you are connected to the correct wireless network, then logging into the harmony app again, then waiting for it to scan again…. What a freaking nightmare.

Once you are past the initial config it is pretty cool but you really need to be patient to get there sometimes.

As far as the hardware goes, I do not think the Xi3 will even be comparable to home AC routers. Most of these AC routers have more throughput and beamforming and I just learned from the xclaim forum last night that the Xi3 does not have beamforming.

Wireless media bridges or wireless switches also do not work with this product just like with Ruckus. DHCP requests of a device connected to a wireless bridge do not get fulfilled. If you set a static on those devices it can be buggy but does eventually work.

There is no manual that shows that there is a tiny pin hole that releases the included mount. When you attach the bizarre mount to see how it works it will not come back off until you use the key to release it. I am pretty sure the mount is designed to be used with a rail system but there is no reference to this or any way to purchase these rails from the xclaim website. I could be missing something but a manual would clear all that up pretty quick.

I wanted to use xclaim for home residential clients but I don’t think I will until the product matures a little.

Great feedback and let me start by just offering a sincere apology that it didn't work out exactly as you like. A couple points of clarification:

- We are actively working on fixing some major items discovered in the field. You must remember that you are using a wireless device to manage your wireless network. Lots can come into play here.
    - The Xi-3 does have Beamforming but it does not have Ruckus Beamflex. You suggest the performance is not good. I would like some more details on that. We pride ourselves on great RF and if you are not experiencing that, let me know the specifics. Right now, channels might be changing quite frequently but I am guessing if you put it on a manual channel, say 149 and test, it should be rock solid.

I promise you that over the coming month you will see some major fixes and features coming your way.

Thanks again!

Eric
  • TechiesTechies Member Posts: 3
    Eric,

I am pleased to hear that Xclaim is aware of some of these issues and taking steps to correct them. Thank you for clarifying that the Xi3 does have beamforming. I have been pretty happy with the performance of the Xi1, I have not conducted any performance tests yet on the Xi3.

I did not mean to suggest that the performance of Xclaim is not good. I wouldn't make such a claim without posting some pictures. I only meant to speculate that it wouldn't be as good as a common home AC router. With your clarification that Xclaim has beamforming that changes my opinion slightly.

When I have the facts after running some tests I will post those results.

As I am sure you are aware, several common AC routers can be purchased for $200 and they all have richer feature lists, claims of 1700+Mbps, and in my experience are easier to configure and use. I know the feature list isn't exactly the selling point that is being marketed here but it is still something to be considered.

I am sure once I test the hardware I will be very happy with it like I have been with Ruckus in the past.

I have not completely ruled out Xclaim as a potential solution for my residential clients, roughly 6000 of them, but I can't see myself pushing Xclaim until the android app is updated. I would love to move away from Ubiquiti and EnGenious for smaller projects.The iOS app seems better, it has some features that the android version didn't, it was not able to find the configured AP at all though.

I am a big fan of Ruckus, I like to overshoot the needs of my clients with a product that well exceeds what they need/want. I figured, if Xclaim is focusing on small business, I will shoot for small residential.

There is a couple things that you did not cover.

What is with this wacky mounting system on these things? Is there a railing that can be purchased so that the included mount is usable or am I missing something?

Are there any plans for this product to include a manual covering the physical specs and layout of the AP?

As an example, how to use the mount?

• SpringsSprings Member Posts: 114
    Techies,

That is used to attach a WAP to a DROP CEILING T-BAR. You know, that grid that hold up tiles.
    I Looked at it sideways when I opened up a R600 box 2 weeks ago.
    http://image.made-in-china.com/43f34j00WZVTzDltJkqb/Qualified-Manuactuer-of-Suspended-Ceiling-T-Bar-SGS-Audited-.jpg

If you are not dealing with a T-Bar.
    Put 2 screws into the mounting surface and slide the WAP onto it. That will still trigger the LOCK. So keep that key or a long paper clip near by.
  • TechiesTechies Member Posts: 3
    Brilliant, thank you.
  • AshkaanAshkaan Member Posts: 0

@Techies said:
    I am sure once I test the hardware I will be very happy with it like I have been with Ruckus in the past.

How's it coming along? How are these APs?

• TheWacknessTheWackness Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2015

Great review. Thanks!!!

• ProgjesProgjes Member Posts: 46
    Hi @Techies can you tell if the solution has improved for you in the last months?