I'm an IT guy and i cant get this to work.

jwf1776jwf1776 Member Posts: 8
edited November 2014 in Settings
my client currently has 2 aging aironet APs, they have 3 laptops that need constant terminal services connections and they are complaining about frequent wireless connectivity problems.

enter my proposal to try two xi-2 APs.

this morning tried to turn on the xi-2 APs onsite and see how they worked. I had previously configured these APs on a different subnet and the harmony app had difficulty connecting to the APs when I brought them onsite. I eventually got connected but then settings became corrupted (model showed as "1", ap name showed as "2", location showed as "3") and so forth.

so i did a factory reset via the hardware button and set them up from scratch. I created a new wireless network and provisioned 1 ap to auto channel 2.4 and 5ghz.

I connected my laptop to this new wireless net. AP is placed on the desk behind my hp elitebook g2 and pinging the AP is showing packet loss of 50%

you can see from insider below that there are a couple other 2.4 networks, but nothing on the 5ghz. (familycarecenter is the xclaim network)

I moved the laptop into the next room and packet loss was still at 50%. I pinged the xi2 AP from a wired connection and there was no packet loss.

firmware updated when I first set them up offsite.

questions:
-how do I troubleshoot this? (especially considering all administration is through the harmony app)

-from the insider pic, it looks like I am connected to the 2.4 radio even though the 5ghz has less interference and better sig strength, why is this?

-I'm assuming insider shows the signal icon next to the network you are connected to, but how else can a user determine which ap they are connected to or whether they are connecting to the 2.4 or 5ghz radio, (in previous installations I have always given the 5g network a unique ssid)?

-is there a way to turn off the 2.4 radio if the install location is overloaded with 2.4 networks?

-

Comments

• ericsrericsr Member Posts: 457
    @jwf1776‌ Good morning and sorry you are having problems. I would ALWAYS recommend installing and setting up in the actual location. So, it appears you did get it up and running after the resets, so this is good. We apply the SSIDs to both radios and its then up to band steering and your client to get on 5GHz. We "encourage" the client, but cannot force (we could but it would be ugly) the client. What kind of client are you connecting with? Does it support DFS channels (which is the channel you are on now)?
  • jwf1776jwf1776 Member Posts: 8
    connecting with hp elitebook g2, wireless card shows as bcm943228hmb 11abgn 2x2, driver version 6.30.223.228

i don't know anything about dfs channels, where do i find that out...

as for which channel i was on ... the inssider screenshot shows the signal icon next to the ssid+channel, (screenshot shows channel 4).

i notice that is a channel already in use, so it is odd that the AP chose that channel at all... though the screenshot doesn't show it, i saw the AP constantly changes channels trying to find the best, but the packet loss was a consistent thing, even when i tried the other AP.

i'm curious about this "up to band steering and your client to get on 5GHz". the screenshot shows the 5ghz network at signal -25 and 2.4 network at -50. is there something wrong with my NICs band steering?

jwf1776 said:

connecting with hp elitebook g2, wireless card shows as bcm943228hmb 11abgn 2x2, driver version 6.30.223.228

i don't know anything about dfs channels, where do i find that out...

as for which channel i was on ... the inssider screenshot shows the signal icon next to the ssid+channel, (screenshot shows channel 4).

i notice that is a channel already in use, so it is odd that the AP chose that channel at all... though the screenshot doesn't show it, i saw the AP constantly changes channels trying to find the best, but the packet loss was a consistent thing, even when i tried the other AP.

i'm curious about this "up to band steering and your client to get on 5GHz". the screenshot shows the 5ghz network at signal -25 and 2.4 network at -50. is there something wrong with my NICs band steering?

You are on 2.4GHz and the auto channel algorithm will use all channels to determine the best one. This can be disruptive at the start (for first few hours) until it settles. This will be better in the long run.

You can do some research on DFS here

Signal is a huge factor in band steering but not the only one. I will look into your problem to make sure there is not an underlying issue. I will keep you updated.
    i am happy to let you remote into my laptop and observe if you desire. i am a xclaim partner and want to give this a fair hearing.
    @jwf1776‌ I am more than happy to answer here since we don't have phones! :) If I discover anything odd with the stuff on our side, I will let you know.
    edited November 2014
    i will dribble some other issues onto the thread as i come across them.

Harmony doesn’t seem to discover APs if the APs subnet changes.

I configure the AP out of the box. Take it to another network. Connect my iphone to the APs wireless network, go into harmony and click search for access points, it doesn’t find the AP that it is connected through.

The AP is online… I can see that it has taken a dhcp address for itself, it is passing out ip addresses to clients (like my Iphone).

---------- updated

I plugged my 2nd xi-2 AP in and harmony found it on the new subnet, but getting lots of “error communicating with AP” then doing the thing where attributes are filled with incrementing numbers: model 93 serial number 91 version 92 2.4 channel 94 5ghz channel 95

If the network changes it will cause problems. This is simple app for discovering APs on your local (L2) network. My advice is to configure at the location, where it has the problem L3 info. Thanks!
    jwf1776 said:

I configure the AP out of the box. Take it to another network. Connect my iphone to the APs wireless network, go into harmony and click search for access points, it doesn’t find the AP that it is connected through.

The AP is online… I can see that it has taken a dhcp address for itself, it is passing out ip addresses to clients (like my Iphone).

---------- updated

I plugged my 2nd xi-2 AP in and harmony found it on the new subnet, but getting lots of “error communicating with AP” then doing the thing where attributes are filled with incrementing numbers: model 93 serial number 91 version 92 2.4 channel 94 5ghz channel 95

This is a discovery problem that should be addressed in the next release (specifically the images you posted).
  • MatMat Member Posts: 6
    Just a suggestion, go into your laptops wireless adapter settings and see if you can set your adapters preferred band. Also remember it is up to the client to decide which band it will use. The AP can try to steer the client to a specific band but the client is king.

Mat
    I have published the following product review documenting my issues:
    http://www.korucomputing.com/review-xclaim-xi-2-wireless-ap/

I will not sell this product to my clients in it's current form, and ruckus will not give me a refund for the units I purchased.

I will say that one of my initial issues (50% packet loss) is from the inSSIDer app running concurrently with ping. So that that was not the fault of the AP. All other criticisms of the product are accurate.
    Sorry for your troubles @jwf1776‌. I certainly appreciate your comments and review and we will work to make the experience better for everyone. I do realize that each setup and installation is slightly different. This app was built to be easy and I can see how it was not what you expected. Thanks again for your honest feedback and we hope to have another chance to win you back.
  • TerryTerry Member Posts: 18
    I don't have as much detail as jwf1776, but I second his frustration. I think there is a distinction between making an app "easy to use", and stripping out all of our control. I'm not happy with the app for even basic setup, never mind off site management, etc.
    Like him I have set up access points off site, or I have put in temporary passwords in order to get the system up and running before the customer returns. (It can get ugly doing this stuff in front of the customer.) After that it seems like my ability to edit the settings is very limited, and even factory reset doesn't seem to get things off to a clean start.
    @Terry I understand. We are making some changes to make the operation smoother. Right now its meant to be installed and setup with a single management device. Sorry for your trouble.
    Can you guys confirm this problem only happens when you prestage the gear and then install?
  • terolesteroles Member Posts: 4
    I'm also an IT guy and I second the thought that the mobile app as the only option to configure the network is not acceptable.

My SMB customers simply don't want to hassle with IT, no matter how "easy" it is designed to be. Individual Mac users are an exception but they will stick with their Airports anyway. So the idea of the simplified mobile app is cool but it's not very practical in the real world.

Trust me, you _want_ to make these products manageable by an SMB IT consultant as well if you want them to sell and succeed.
    eric,

I [we?] am happy to help ruckus develop this product, but i need some form of tangible goodwill in return (ex. refund+appology, no-cost exchange for a zoneflex, nda and a paycheck, i'm flexible). as it stands, I am just a dupe that is out $250. unless something changes, i have more allegiance to help my fellow man avoid this product than to help ruckus turn this around.
    I have sent you several messages @jwf1776‌ with offers to help. I realize you are frustrated and I would encourage you to contact the store you purchased from and request some purchase/return help. Xclaim does not directly offer refunds but maybe your store of purchase can provide a solution. We are more than willing to help you get issues resolved as well.
    edited December 2014
    eric, i appreciate your offers to help, you're certainly not to blame for the issues we are having.

btw, distributor will not take the product back as it is 'functioning as designed'.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is feeling this way:
    xi-2 review on small net builder

apparently, the hardware is the exact same as the zoneflex r300, so there shouldn't be any hardware restrictions in getting this thing to work right.
  • CarlHCarlH Member Posts: 9
    Yes the closing thoughts on the Small Net Builder review are pretty spot on.
    jwf1776 said:

eric, i appreciate your offers to help, you're certainly not to blame for the issues we are having.

btw, distributor will not take the product back as it is 'functioning as designed'.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is feeling this way:
    xi-2 review on small net builder

apparently, the hardware is the exact same as the zoneflex r300, so there shouldn't be any hardware restrictions in getting this thing to work right.

I certainly take things seriously as this is my product and I apologize for your issues. I will contact you directly to see if there is something we can do.
    I will dribble some other observations into the thread as i come across them.

xclaim/harmony doesn't seem handle ip changes or discovery well. if i have an ap configured, them take the ap to another network, harmony will scan and not be able to find the AP,

bear in mind this is with harmony connected through the AP it is trying to discover. the ap is handing out dhcp to my iphone, but harmony cant seem to find the ap.

I can fire up an ip scanner and see the AP come online and ping it just fine.

The AP is online… I can see that it has taken a dhcp address for itself, it is passing out dhcp addresses to clients (like my Iphone), but harmony cant find it for configuration.
    I will dribble some other observations into the thread as i come across them.

xclaim/harmony doesn't seem handle ip changes or discovery well. if i have an ap configured, them take the ap to another network, harmony will scan and not be able to find the AP,

bear in mind this is with harmony connected through the AP it is trying to discover. the ap is handing out dhcp to my iphone, but harmony cant seem to find the ap.

I can fire up an ip scanner and see the AP come online and ping it just fine.

The AP is online… I can see that it has taken a dhcp address for itself, it is passing out dhcp addresses to clients (like my Iphone), but harmony cant find it for configuration.
  • rriverarrivera Member Posts: 3
    Why the app still "discovering" ? 24 hours trying to configure just 2 Access Point? Really?