BeamFlex and antenna orientation

dcshobbydcshobby Member Posts: 20
Hello, I see the Ruckus version (T300) of the outdoor AP has BeamFlex. Will this have BeamFlex built-in? Also, in the datasheets for Ruckus and this, I don't see the antenna pattern at all for the built-in omni. Can you provide the antenna patterns and suggest which orientation of the AP will provide the best signal for omni coverage? This can be mounted facing down to the ground or the antennas facing out vertically and wondering which way provides the best performance in an outdoor environment? Thank you

Comments

• ericsrericsr Member Posts: 457
    Hi @dcshobby‌ This does NOT have BeamFlex but rather an omni antenna pattern as you mentioned. The same best practices apply such as mounting from a ceiling facing down, but it all really depends on the use case. If this is small coffee shop you could probably have it on the counter and all would be well! :)
  • dcshobbydcshobby Member Posts: 20
    In regards to the outdoor AP, you recommend facing the antenna part/enclosure down to the ground then instead of pole mounting it and facing the antenna portion to the horizon? Thanks
    That is correct but again, all depends on your use case.
  • TerryTerry Member Posts: 18
    Is there a polar plot of the antenna pattern available Eric? Can we see that? For example, if I was going to mount an antenna on the 1st floor of a 3 story house, should I mount it sideways? It would be helpful to see the pattern.
    @Terry‌ Its an omni pattern on all APs so think of it as a donut. :) Depending on the model, it might have vertical and horizontal polarization. I would also recommend putting it flat (ceiling or desktop mount) as you will have the most symmetrical coverage.
  • pl804pl804 Member Posts: 9
    ericsr said:

@Terry‌ Its an omni pattern on all APs so think of it as a donut. :) Depending on the model, it might have vertical and horizontal polarization. I would also recommend putting it flat (ceiling or desktop mount) as you will have the most symmetrical coverage.

@ericsr‌ I have a related question. I'm currently using an R700 that I presume has Beamflex, and its performance is astounding. The iperf #s vs. my Netgear AP are ridiculously good. Given that the Xi-3 is 2x2 instead of 3x3, and doesn't include Beamflex, what kind of performance degradation should I expect relative to the R700?
  • pl804pl804 Member Posts: 9
    BTW, I assume we lose all of this on the Xi-3:

http://www.ruckuswireless.com/technology/beamflex

Unlike omni-directional antennas that radiate signals in all directions, BeamFlex directs transmit energy towards the best path to the receiving device. And unlike fixed-positioned directional antennas, BeamFlex dynamically configures its "beam" on a per-station, per-packet basis, to achieve omni-directional coverage.

BeamFlex+ is an enhancement to Ruckus BeamFlex adaptive antenna technology by providing adaptive support to mobile devices. BeamFlex+ enables antennas to adapt to client device orientation in addition to client device location.
  • SpringsSprings Member Posts: 114
    pl804 said:

ericsr said:

@ericsr‌ I have a related question. I'm currently using an R700 that I presume has Beamflex, and its performance is astounding. The iperf #s vs. my Netgear AP are ridiculously good. Given that the Xi-3 is 2x2 instead of 3x3, and doesn't include Beamflex, what kind of performance degradation should I expect relative to the R700?
    $200 WAP vs $1000 WAP
    2x2 Omni vs 3x3 BeamFlex+

Under load with proper client antennas. i would think you would see a difference. :)
    Xclaim is good and ZoneFlex is great. Depends on what you are trying to do, but we cannot really compare apples and oranges.