Off Site Monitoring and Configuration

SpringsSprings Member Posts: 114
The interface appears all App driven... what ports do we need to open to manage a system from off site?

Can APs at different locations(L2/L3 also) be grouped together.

Comments

• ericsrericsr Member Posts: 457
    Hi and thanks for your question. The initial implementation is meant to be extremely local! :smiley: The APs and the management app need to be on the same L2 network. Plans to expand are in the works.
  • SpringsSprings Member Posts: 114
    edited October 2014
    So if there is an issue with the wireless, or a requested change... we have to go there to see whats going? Plus we have to use an App?

Lets push forward that "in the works" thing.

Part of providing for SMBs and Commercial level systems is Monitoring. Often built into Service Contracts between the Network Company and the Establishment.
    Glad you are interacting here. Will be great going forward to have someone like you interested and with a voice.

I hear your points and we are looking at many different ways to help improved the experience for small business.

We have solutions available today in our ZoneFlex line that will certainly meet your needs.
  • aelibbyaelibby Member Posts: 72
    The website and datasheet say the APs are "cloud ready" Does this imply a product similar to the SCG or SAMs that will be able to monitor/administer the APs like Cloudtrax does for Open Mesh? Or will there be an app/controller software one can install in the cloud similar to the UniFi software for Ubiquiti?

Without something along these lines this product will have trouble gaining any traction.
  • WiFiGuruWiFiGuru Member Posts: 3
    Eric, really?

This product is not ready for us and for our customers, if management is pretty limited and works only over L2 network... Very disappointing.
    Is the only option to configure them with the mobile app or is there a linux/Windows desktop client one can install?

If there is a client one can install on say, a raspberry pi that can be accessed via an ip or domain name one could make a mini zone director that can be SSHed into or accessed via a tunnel for remote monitoring/configuration.

Also, will these APs have SNMP?
  • The mobile app is the management interface for the Xclaim product line.

At this time there is no cloud management.

GT
    Most SMBs will want to at least have a desktop client to manage the APs. I shouldn't think it would be too difficult to bake the management into a simple desktop program.
    ericsr,

At this point (Day Zero), the only people in here are the Ruckus dealers who got the email at 3AM.

As for the ZoneFlex line handling these things... THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I AM SELLING AGAINST UniFi. Which got harder with the 3.0 multi site support. But the shutting off SSID on Schedules has been a big point to beat back that Security Guy who picked up a UniFi AP at the local distributor.
  • josejose Member Posts: 68
    Springs said:

ericsr,

At this point (Day Zero), the only people in here are the Ruckus dealers who got the email at 3AM.

As for the ZoneFlex line handling these things... THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I AM SELLING AGAINST UniFi. Which got harder with the 3.0 multi site support. But the shutting off SSID on Schedules has been a big point to beat back that Security Guy who picked up a UniFi AP at the local distributor.

UniFi 3.0 is beta released and the APs can't take the load, so no competition there.
    Xclaim will now be selling directly to the "security Guy" so all those people who are selling UniFi or any other budget APs will switch to Xclaim (who already have the Ruckus name to backed them up)
    You better have two quotes ready from now on, Xclaim/Ruckus.

Actually the UniFi AP firmware is on 3.2.5 and the software is up to 4.2.0 if you want to use their switches and gateways.
  • josejose Member Posts: 68
    edited October 2014
    We are currently removing UniFi installations and switching everyone to Ruckus. Unifi 3.x has been BETA for the past 2 years and They are still having issues and haven't been able to make it stable, it doesn't matter what they say on their release notes, I want prove.
    ubnt made a mistake when they decided to sell indoor APs, switches, cameras, etc. Their outdoor products are reliable and affordable, but everything else is not worth the investment.
  • dan_computerxdan_computerx Member Posts: 26
    edited October 2014
    jose said:

ubnt made a mistake when they decided to sell indoor APs, switches, cameras, etc. Their outdoor products are reliable and affordable, but everything else is not worth the investment.

What he said. The nice thing about Ubi is that they are easy to sell against. By the time the owner is calling for a consultant, the frustration factor is really high. I do like their bridges though
    Fair enough. I have been having wonky issues with my Unifi AC AP in my apartment. My xclaim radio should be a great replacement for that.
    @aelibby‌ We hope "wonky" is not something you experience with Xclaim! :smiley:
    I hope not! I am eager to try it out when it arrives.
    edited November 2014
    So this week I was faced with a Restaurant / Lounge install in Florida. I am up in Mayland.

I have built systems like this and considering SQ footage... Client isolation... Captive Portal.
    Ruckus ZD1106 1 or 2 R500s
    "TOO MUCH"

How about Ruckus ZD 1106 and 2 or 3 R300s.
    "Nope.. too much."

So they Bring in Open Mesh and it is a miserable failure and can't do 3 SSIDs. The Guest Network is not visible from our system.
    CRASH AND BURN...

OK How about that Ruckus ZD 1106 and 2 R300s?
    "Well... let me get back to you..."

Alright... ruled that out too.

So here is what the Wireless Needs to do.
    3 or 4 SSIDs
    Provide VLAN tags to split up traffic
    Limit bandwidth to guest network
    Manage clients on Guest network capture DNS. Make sure they use kid safe sites

Now during this deployment the installing contractor has regularly plugged devices into the wrong managed ports and JUST BITCHED because things went nutty.

"Can I use UniFi?"

I Explained the weaknesses... but all things considered... would I trust him to set up Xclaim. HELL NO!

Logged into my UniFi server at the office for the systems that I could not talk them out of it.
    Added a new site.
    Set the SSIDs and VLAN tags.
    Set one SSID to have limited bandwith per client and be client isolated.
    Logged back into the router on site and wrote a resolver for unifi to my office FQDN. That gets punched into the dns server on the router.

Next morning I was at the Dentist Office and Florida calls and says... APS are up. (He picked up a 3 Pack at @[email protected] that morning.) "We need these ready for POS, Office, and guest in 20 minutes."

WHILE ON THE PHONE IN THE WAITING ROOM!!!
    Open a web browser on my phone.
    Enter the unifi server address and log in.
    Select the site I made for Florida.
    3 APs show as pending.
    Select each one and click adopt as I am walking back to the chair for a cleaning.

Fast forward too today and I can see what clients are on the network. What AP they are on. What channel they are using. How long they have been there.

GET THE OFFSITE MANAGEMENT PUSHED TO THE FRONT OF THE TO DO LIST!
    @Springs‌ Appreciate the details and we agree. This is a feature we are working on but its not going to be there immediately. Must be done right, not fast.
  • dszpdszp Member Posts: 19
    Pretty much +100 for Springs :-)
    Our answer will be in a cloud offering which is definitely in the works.
    Please don't pull the open mesh model. Ohh my god did that suck!!!
    @Springs‌ If you have seen how we are approaching things, its small steps towards an efficient product. Our plans are to make the product more useful and easier. Yes, that can be done. :smile: We are always looking for ways to make our customers happier, not pay more.
  • jwatts06jwatts06 Member Posts: 2
    Please notify me when there is a web interface so we can consider selling them. We will need to be able to remotely manage them, via VPN or through forwarded ports. Thanks. We sell a ton of the Ruckus but have settled for Engenius to this point for small business. This would be a refreshing change.
    @jwatts06‌ Thanks for your feedback. What feature set do you look for in your remotely manageable APs?
  • jwatts06jwatts06 Member Posts: 2
    @ericsr Just any web interface so you don't have to have a client to connect to them would be great. For example one similar to the Ruckus interface would be fine. I can do all the configuration I need from it. Also having an android/iphone app would be great, but not having external access is a killer, plus we keep all our configuration websites together in favorites, which makes it easy to manage all our devices.