I have to restart my Xi-2 every couple of days - Is there a fix for this?

Hi
I have to restart my Xi-2 every couple of days as 2 or 3 devices fail to connect after a while.
These are HP wireless printers and I have a couple of Garmin devices that just wont connect.
After a quick restart of the AP all is well again but only for a few days.
I have plenty of DHCP addresses available for these devices so I am not too sure where the issue is
Is this a known problem?
I guess I am using the latest firmware by virtue of the constant restarts?

Any help or pointers would be most appreciated, many thanks

Answers

• shriramrsshriramrs Member, Xpert, Moderator Posts: 210

Hi @pcotgrove ,

Do you mean that you are not able to connect to the WLAN at all after few days?
    Does your client devices receive the DHCP IP address?
    Have you set static channels for your radios(2.4Ghz/5Ghz)?

Regards,
    Shriram

• pcotgrovepcotgrove Member Posts: 6

Hi @shriramrs
    So after a reboot everything is fine - then after a few days my printer & Garmin particularly just wont connect. So in both cases I cant tell if they get a DHCP address as the only indication on the devices is either a flashing light or a blinking icon - steady lights & icons would indicate that the connection was good and the device was able to access the network. Rebooting the Xi-2 at this point resolves the situation.

The frequency of this issue can be anywhere between 2 and 10 days but is more likely to happen over fewer days, so I guess between 2 and 5 days would be normal.

The software version is 2.2.0.0.40, the channels for both 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz are set to auto and are currently using 3 & 44 respectively

One thing I have noticed, and I am not sure if this would have any impact (I am sure it wouldn't) - the internet status is reporting that the GRE connection status is down. I have used GRE in the past for site to site VPNs so thats why I form the opinion that this isnt an issue, happy to be corrected though :smile:

I have also seen a potential issue - if these two devices have issues with 5Ghz they should only ever use 2.4.
    I thought I had configured 1x2.4 SSID & 1.5 SSID - different SSIDs obviously
    But in the 2.4 configuration I had duplicated one of the SSIDs - all SSIDs have the same passphrase

So I wonder if these devices connect on 2.4 and then at some point try to reconnect on the 5 and cant - but then wont retry on the 2.4
    To prove my theory I have disable the duplicate on the 2.4 so I have 1 SSID on each frequency

• rameshcrameshc Member, Xpert, Moderator Posts: 174

Hi @pcotgrove,

Can you please drop a mail to [email protected] when you encounter this issue again? We can get into a call and try to resolve this issue.

Thanks
    Ramesh

• pcotgrovepcotgrove Member Posts: 6

Hi @rameshc

Here is the update as promised - so far everything is perfect so I guess the static channels you configured have done the trick. Everytime the printer & Garmin devices have been turned on they have connected first time without issue. I will continue to monitor and let you know if the issues return but so far so good. Many thanks again, Paul

• rameshcrameshc Member, Xpert, Moderator Posts: 174