Good Size Hotel Installation

I would like to know if we can use Xclaim for this hotel project:

1) Lobby and Common Areas: About 10 x (Xi-1) handling the following traffic: Estimated maximum of 300-500 clients. The big conference room is part of these areas and will handle around 150-200 clients (5 APs?)

2) About 10 x (Xi-1) for each rooms floor handling about 80-100 clients. 40 Rooms per floor so we estimate 2 clients per room, or is this tool little? Total of 5 floors so total of 50 APs for all floors.

3|) Outdoors: About 6 x (Xo-1) handling around 500 clients.

We are competing with UBNT so we have provided a proposal with Xclaim and also with Ruckus but the customer tries to go budget.

So do you think the system can handle this kind of project? If no do you think changing to Xi-2 or Xi-3 for indoors and increasing the amount of outdoor APs might make a difference?

Comments

• vybhavramvybhavram Xpert, Moderator Posts: 1,063

Hello @charris ,

Thank you for your interest in Xclaim Wireless.

There are a few clarifications that I would require before suggesting more:

1) Have you done a site-survey (predictive or walkthrough) to come up with the AP numbers? Each Xclaim AP can handle 100 clients. So, considering your client count estimate the # of Aps that you have estimated should be enough.

2) Regarding the type of AP : We suggest moving to either a Xi-2 or a Xi-3 to support dual-band clients. Xi-2 and Xi-3 operate in both the 2.4 and 5GHz bands simulteneously.

3) Xclaim Aps are autonomous APs. They do not support fast roaming of Wi-Fi clients. So everytime a wi-fi client roams from one AP to another, there will be a delay of 1-5 seconds. Is this acceptible by the customer? I am guessing that this should be ok for the hotel rooms, but how about the conference areas? Should that be fine?

4) Regarding the outdoor installation, for 500 clients, we would suggest ~8-10 Xo-1s .

The exact number of APs required would depend on the area that needs to be covered and the throughput requirement per client. Once we have this information, we can give an accurate estimation of how many APs are required.

Regards
    Vybhav

• charrischarris Member Posts: 10
    edited May 2016

Vybhav,

thank you for your prompt reply.

A site survey has been done to be honest by the Xclaim main partner here.

I guess some other questions would be:

1) Can the system handle so many APs (60-80) at one site?

2) Also what about load balancing? How would an AP "know" to send extra clients over it's limit (100) to another AP?

3) How can we handle bandwidth limit per client?

4) Do the dual band APs support band steering?

5) What else do you suggest is needed for such size hotel installation?

6) Let's say we have full and sufficient coverage of the property. Can you see any other problems we might have vs a Ruckus solution?

Hello @charris ,

Let me answer your questions in order :)

1) Yes. CloudManager does not have an upper limit on the # of APs that it can manage. It should easily be able to manage 60-80 APs per site without any issues.

2) Xclaim APs are autonomous APs. Due to this reason, they do not support load balancing. The client would have to make the "roaming" decision on it's own.

3) Xclaim supports per client bandwidth limiting. So you should be able to achieve this.

4) yes, dual band APs support band steering

5) Xclaim Aps should do the trick . Xclaim APs are based on Ruckus hardware and are proven to handle high client density environments. Unless the client's requirements include something that Xclaim APs do not support.

6) A Ruckus solution is a full blown enterprise solution with managed APs and plenty of advanced features that you can use. Xclaim gives you just the right amount of features at a very competitive price with a tried and tested CloudManager solution. Xclaim also gives you the abililty to have a MSP account and manage all your accounts within that.

Please feel free to let us know if you'd like anymore details. We'd be glad to help!

Regards,
    Vybhav

edited May 2016

Vybhav,

thank you for your answers. If possible I would like to concentrate on these important things that you have mentioned:

1) Xclaim Aps are autonomous APs. They do not support fast roaming of Wi-Fi clients. So everytime a wi-fi client roams from one AP to another, there will be a delay of 1-5 seconds. Is this acceptible by the customer? I am guessing that this should be ok for the hotel rooms, but how about the conference areas? Should that be fine?

The customer is not sure if this is acceptable and we are not sure for a hotel lobby, common areas and conference room if fast roaming is required. To be honest I am guessing that it is required since most people at hotels communicate (back to their country) via voip/skype/viber/whataspp/e.t.c and I guess roaming is super important for this? If the client (for one or another reason) decides to change AP in the middle of a voip call then the call will be cut off.

So the big question on this is: Do you thing fast roaming is important for this kind of size hotel installation?

2) Xclaim Aps should do the trick . Xclaim APs are based on Ruckus hardware and are proven to handle high client density environments. Unless the client's requirements include something that Xclaim APs do not support.

The big problem is that the customer is of course not technical so they can not provide requirements. As every hotel they would like to provide the "best" wifi to their guests and it is important for them to have both high reliability and high performance.

So the question again is: What features/requirements are not supported by Xclaim that are considered essential in such a hotel installation?

And the last question is: What featured are supported by Ruckus and not by Xclaim that might be very useful in this project?

Sorry for pushing a bit on this but we would really like to make this right.

P.S. Do not worry if you provide an honest answer or reveal something that the system cannot do in this kind of project. The customer will go either for Xclaim or Ruckus so the project will go to Ruckus anyway :)

Hi @vybhavram

just a kind reminder on this.

Hello @charris ,

Here are my responses:

1) If a user is running a skype/voip call and the client roams from one Xclaim AP to another, then the call will not be disconnected. There should be a 1-5 second loss of audio but the call should resume back.

2) Here are the main differences between Xclaim and traditional Ruckus gear

• Ruckus APs have a controller based architecture. Xclaim APs are standalone APs. This gives Ruckus APs the ability to support standard 802.11 roaming, load balancing , fast roaming , etc that might be helpful in a area like a hotel lobby or a conference room. Xclaim Aps are standalone APs and they do not support these features.
    • Xclaim APs can be managed via CloudManager and along with the MSP feature, AP management becomes very easy and powerful. This could be an advantage for you when trying to manage the site remotely.
    • Xclaim APs do not support BeamFlex , the Ruckus proprietary technology which does beamforming to ensure clients at cell edge also communicate at high data rates. However, Beamflex is advantageous in areas where there are very large RF cells. Typically , in indoor environments , as long as a site survey is done and the right number of APs are placed, Xclaim APs should perform just as well.

For more detailed analysis , I would urge you to have a look at this datasheet -> http://xclaim.s3.amazonaws.com/images/gallery/xclaim-comparison-table.png (Please ignore the timelines, an updated datasheet is being prepared as we speak)

Regards,
    Vybhav

• larussalarussa Member Posts: 17

I have a similar need as above but require Fast Roaming 802.11k/r/v

Does Ruckus Unleashed support these protocols or would I need Zone Director?

• kanu978kanu978 Member Posts: 25

Only 2 clients per room seems like a gross underestimation from my experience. Let's say you average close to or above double occupancy per room...it is fairly common for guests to have at least a laptop, tablet, smartphone, and other wifi connected device such as a gaming/streaming device (e.g. xbox/roku). Realistically, I would estimate no less than 5 clients per room going forward...