Best mounting position

Hi,

I just purchased the Xo-1 and set it up. Cloudmanager works like a charm, very easy setup.

Now I need to place the unit (outside) and make sure to cover an area as big as possible. The area to it should cover is a 50x50meter square (but ideally it has larger coverage) where I want the clients to have wifi access.

Question 1:
How and where should I position the AP?

• Position in the square
  • Height
  • Which way is up on the AP
  • Are there any dead spots near the AP?
  • etc

(couldn't find any documentation on this)

Question 2:
On an open field, the same 50x50meter square, should I be able to use 5Ghz?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Emilio

Tagged:

Comments

• vybhavramvybhavram Xpert, Moderator Posts: 1,063

Hello @emilio ,

Thank you for using the Xo-1.

The Xo-1 has an internal 2.4 Ghz omnidirectional antenna and support for 2.4 and 5GHz external antennas.

Question #1 : The best way to mount the Xo-1 is on a pole with the AP's antennas facing downwards. The height should be between 10-25 feet. This is to eliminate coverage holes right below the Access Point. The AP's signal pattern can be imagined as a donut shaped pattern , spreading horizontally, with the AP in the center.

Question #2 : Yes, in an open field, you should be able to effectively use both 2.4 and 5GHz at a range of 50 meters.

Regards,
    Vybhav

• emilioemilio Member Posts: 8

Hello Vybhavram,

Thanks for your reply, apologies for my late response (did not have the notifications set up properly).

Positioning: with the AP's antennas, do you mean the 'bubble' (because that's the housing for the internal antennas I assume) or the screws for the external antennas? I attached 2 pictures, can you point out the way it should go?

External antennas: do you recommend any specific external antennas? And should they be positioned far away from the AP or would it extend the range tremendously already when I place 2 antennas within 2 meters of the AP? And the antennas, assuming that they look like traditional antennas (just a rubber stick), should they point upwards or downwards?

Apologies for the dummy questions :)

Thanks!
    Emilio

Hello Emilio,

This URL will give you information about the external antenna options : https://www.ruckuswireless.com/products/access-points/accessories/external-antenna-options.

You could purchase the AT-0636-VH bundle , which has 1 vertically polarized and 1 horizontally polarized antenna. This needs to be screwed onto the antenna connectors on the Xo-1.

Regarding the positioning : If you are using the internal antennas, then the "bubble" part of the AP should face either downards or upwards( just like you have shown in the pic). The signal will propagate horizontally in all directions.

If you are using external antennas , you would have to mount the AP with the antennas facing downwards. The AP needs to be mounted at a height between 10-25 feet . The signal will propagate paralell to the ground , in all direction.

Regards,
    Vybhav

Hi Vybhav,

Thanks again for your reply. I see that the antennas are screwed directly onto the AP, so my question regarding positioning does not make sense.

The antenna bundle - I assume that using external antennas increase the reach of the signal, is that correct? Is it always better to use external where possible?

Do you have any suggested resellers in the Netherlands that sell those antennas? I am unable to find any so far.

Regards,
    Emilio

Hello @Emilio,

Can you please send me an email to vybhav.ramachandran at ruckuswireless.com ? I will put you in touch with our distributors in Netherlands.

Regards,
    Vybhav

Hi,

I dropped you an email, thanks.

I have a couple of more questions:

• Which 2.4Ghz external antennas would you recommend for the Xclaim Xo-1?
    • When you say 'If you are using external antennas , you would have to mount the AP with the antennas facing downwards' - this means that the AP is actually upside down, right? (status led is up, ethernet connector is on top, antenna connectors are down).

Thanks!
    Emile

Hi Vybhav,

I have bought a second Xo-1 for my project, just as a backup whenever the initial one fails. They're both configured to the exact same settings, but I am wondering something:

What happens when both of them are online and attached to the very same WLAN? I have tried doing this and connection seems to be fine, but does this somehow create some sort of roaming WLAN cloud distributed through 2 AP's?

Regards,
    Emilio

Hello @emilio ,

With 2 APs broadcasting the same WLAN , the wifi client will choose to connect to the best AP by considering several parameters. As the client moves away from one AP and closer to the second AP, it "can" decide to roam from one AP to another.

Since Xclaim APs are standalone APs, there will be some packet loss(1-5 seconds of packet loss) during the roam event. However, since the client's IP address doesn't change, it's sessions will not break and normal browsing/streaming service will restore after a temporary break in connection.

Regards,
    Vybhav

That's good to know, thanks!