Continual Configuration Errors

dszpdszp Member Posts: 19
Both yesterday and today when attempting to configure an Xi-1 or Xi-2 (standalone, the only Xclaim AP on the network, with two entirely different networks), I am able to initially connect to the default config SSID and find/adopt an AP from the app on my iPhone 6. However, as soon as I attempt to do almost anything useful, including initially configure the AP with a single WLAN, or if not then, if I try to edit any setting of the AP or the WLAN, I get "Error: There was an error communicating with the AP and your setting change(s) could not be confirmed. Please verify network connectivity and try again." This repeats at least 5 times in a row immediately. No settings are saved. Alternately, I'll just get a similar error that says "Cannot connect to AP" even if it finds the AP when searching the network for APs. This is when connected directly to the WLAN on the AP itself, not to another AP (old or built-into modem) on the network. It's severely hampering my ability to test these units out. The only fix appears to be resetting the AP to factory defaults and then deleting and reinstalling the app, where I get just about as far (plus or minus a step) each time.

I know the Xi-1 was upgraded by the app when I tested it earlier this week, but the Xi-2 hasn't prompted me in the app to update it at all since I started messing with it today. I am running version 1.0.2 of the app (since I've had to reinstall multiple times and you can only install the newest version from the app store).

Initially the password I used for the app ended with a $. I saw another post saying that was bad, so I changed to using a & at the end. Now I've switched to a ! at the end instead to make it complex, and I think I got one step farther this time (but no details were provided about what the $ messes up, other than apparently everything).

What the heck is going wrong? Is no one else having these major difficulties getting things configured that make the APs unusable? I've actually already sold a 6-AP setup to a customer using Xi-3 units as they're the cheapest way to get good AC units into a large house (was previously going to use UniFi Standards and not do AC but the customer easily said do the Xi-3 AC!) but now Distribution is telling me that the Xi-3 units that were supposed to arrive last week are now delayed until later this month and the customer's probably going to be fine with the Xi-2's but now I have to do a refund and repurchase--anyway, that's not the issue with this post but still frustrating. Even if I use the Xi-2 units, if I can't configure them it's not going to work!

Comments

• ericsrericsr Member Posts: 457
    @dszp‌ I am sorry you are having problems. I am guessing the $ bug got you and I apologize for this. My suggestion, factory reset the APs and the reinstall the app but without using the $. The errors you are seeing suggest to me this is the problem. Please message me directly and I can help you troubleshoot further. Thanks. Eric
  • dszpdszp Member Posts: 19
    Will send you a message, thanks. Every password I've used this week until today (when I saw the post) had a $ in it, and was likely the original issue, but even after using a password with & in it I saw the same issues (though with a bit less testing). With a ! in the password it seems slightly better, but I'm still seeing a lot of issues when connected to the actual Xclaim AP. If I connect to, in this case, the wifi network my U-Verse modem at home is broadcasting, on the same layer 2 as Xclaim, I can make configuration changes just fine where it won't configure when I'm connected to the Xclaim unit directly for some reason. Obviously the changes are going to disconnect me, but I assume that is designed into the protocol!

On the positive side, I have been using the SpeedFlex app on my iPhone to do various speed tests to the AP which is quite awesome, even better than using iPerf 3 on a Windows box to WiFiPerf on my iPhone! I even played with the Ruckus S.W.A.T. iPad app a little with some success, though of course I have to fake the AP model (even the newer Ruckus AP models aren't in there). I love that SpeedFlex is running on the Xclaim APs!
    @dszp‌ Did you factory reset all your APs and reinstall the app without the $?
    Yes, I've reset the APs so many times and reinstalled the app so many times this week I'm pretty sure if it were more complex, I could do it in my sleep and it would be impressive (it's easy enough that I can do it in my sleep already without it being more than just annoying :-) Including after seeing the $ issue. I only tried changing the password in the app one time, which failed, all other times were full reset/reinstall.
    At this point do not use any special characters other than ! which I am certain works. :)
    edited November 2014
    Well it does work now from another AP on the network (not Xclaim), but I just connected to the Xi-2 from my iPhone while associated to it as well, and I'm still getting the same error as above when I, for example, try to modify which of the (now 2) WLANs I configured are active on the AP (went from the one that was active to add a second one I had already set up, so both were active--not even deleting the one I was connected to).

I also wanted to test putting one WLAN on 2.4GHz and one on 5GHz, but it appears to not be possible to disable one of the radios at a time on the Xi-2, they're both always on :-(
    @dszp‌ Send me an email from the forum and I can have a dialogue with you. You are correct at this point it puts your SSID on both radios.
    dszp said:

Yes, I've reset the APs so many times and reinstalled the app so many times this week I'm pretty sure if it were more complex, I could do it in my sleep and it would be impressive (it's easy enough that I can do it in my sleep already without it being more than just annoying :-) Including after seeing the $ issue. I only tried changing the password in the app one time, which failed, all other times were full reset/reinstall.

DO NOT USE: ` & ( ) ; < > | \ $
  • josejose Member Posts: 68
    Let's just remove them all. Problem solve.
    The ZD doesn't have this requirement.
    @jose‌ Already in process. The next release will remove the complexity requirements but will still require 8 characters.
  • fullbarsfullbars Member Posts: 11
    I was having this exact same problem, anytime I tried to apply changes to a WLAN or AP that required it to restart, I would get the Error failing to communicate with AP. I resolved this issue by having a separate AP (AirPort Extreme) and set it up as a different SSID network. When I applied changes to the Xclaim with harmony, the changes would successfully push through as it restarted and my iPhone jumped to my separate network. Hope this helps.
    @fullbars‌ This is great info to share. The problem is sometimes when you are configuring/changing items and also being connected to that network.
    Harmony 1.0.3 removes the password complexity requirements (still needs 8 characters).
  • awieczoreckawieczoreck Member Posts: 2

I have had difficulty myself with getting access to GUI interface with Xi3 AP's, tried connecting with Harmony APP after connecting them to Internet and got nowhere.

• awieczoreckawieczoreck Member Posts: 2

what would the default username and password?

• vybhavramvybhavram Xpert, Moderator Posts: 1,063
    edited September 2015

The default username and password for XClaim Access points would be :
    Username : xclaim-mfg
    Password : mfg-admin12