Is the Xclaim Xi-2 rigth for me ?

salvasalva Member Posts: 10
edited April 2015 in Getting Started (Harmony)

Hi, new to the Xclaim range, I have to deploy a series of systems for conference rooms, I was about to go to Ubnt but I have discovered the Xclaim range and I wonder if it will fit my needs, needs are as follows:

2 x AP per conference room
1 x SSID
Dual Band
Band steering to 5Ghz
Load balancing between the two APs
100 clients max per conference room

Every conference room will have different SSID, so, on that sense the groups of APs will be of just 2 units, every conference room will have its own network, so, each AP will see only the other AP on the same conference room

I want to have max bandwidth for every client, I have read all the documentation and the only feature I am not sure the Xclaim Xi-2 has is load balancing.

Is load balancing available on the Xi-2 ?
Is this product right for my application?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• vybhavramvybhavram Xpert, Moderator Posts: 1,063

Hello @salva ,

Thanks for your interest. Let me help you with the queries

• Dual Band - Yes the Xi-2 is a Simultaneous dual band AP
    • Band steering to 5GHz - Yes the Xi-2 can BandSteer Dual stack clients to 5GHz
    • The maximum amount of clients per Xi-2 is 100 , so as per your description of the max conference room capacity, 2 Xi-2 APs should do the job.

Regarding load balancing, since these are standalone APs , the XClaim APs do not support it. Please refer to this thread for more information ->http://forum.xclaimwireless.com/discussion/comment/148/#Comment_148

Also, just wanted to highlight another point regarding inter-AP roaming. Again, since these are standalone APs, inter-AP client roaming is not supported. The client would have to get disconnected from AP#1 and authenticate to AP#2.

Have you considered the Xi-3s? Being 802.11ac APs, they are more efficient over the air and can handle upto 867Mbps(5GHz)+150Mbps(2.4GHz) per AP.

Regards,
    Vybhav

• salvasalva Member Posts: 10

Also, just wanted to highlight another point regarding inter-AP roaming. Again, since these are standalone APs, inter-AP client roaming is not supported. The client would have to get disconnected from AP#1 and authenticate to AP#2.

Have you considered the Xi-3s? Being 802.11ac APs, they are more efficient over the air and can handle upto 867Mbps(5GHz)+150Mbps(2.4GHz) per AP.

Thanks for your info, yes, I have thougth about the Xi-3s but my only fear is that most of the clients still will be n so that will leave with the equivalent Xi-2 performance. I understand that using ac with n clients will not have any noticeable benefits.

What is the reason behind having clusters of AP with the same SSID then ?

Other than setting them up in one go I do not see any benefit, in that scenario of more than one AP with the same SSI the client will just connect to the strongest AP and stay there.

And last question, can it be the b mode be disabled ?, if b clients are allowed the whole performance will be affected.

Thanks for your help.

Hello @salva ,

Yes, you are right. Currently, the reason why you can configure a cluster of APs together via the APP is for the ease of configuration purposes. The point to consider is that these APs are targeted for SMB/SoHo business operatations which do not have an active IT staff to manage the wireleess. Hence the simplicity.

Yes, the client will take into account the AP's signal strength plus other info and make a decision on which Ap to connect to. Now, when they move away from the AP, the clients CAN connect to the new AP if they decide to make a roam decision. The client doesn't know if the backend is XClaim or Ruckus, it just sees 2 BSSIDs for the same SSID. So what happens is, even though the client decides to roam, the actual Wi-Fi "roam" doesn't happen as the client state is not maintained/transferred across the APs and a new state is created for the client everytime it attaches to an AP. This will cause the client's VoWi-Fi/Skype calls to drop and browsing sessions to be slightly interrupted.

Regarding disabling 802.11b - Currently No. This is again a feature which the Ruckus Enterprise product lines do very well and considering the market that the XClaim APs are targeted for , this feature is not available.

Regards,
    Vybhav

edited April 2015

Regarding disabling 802.11b - Currently No. This is again a feature which the Ruckus Enterprise product lines do very well and considering the market that the XClaim APs are targeted for , this feature is not available.

Hi, thanks for your remarks, regarding the b mode disable, I don't understand you completely, do you mean that the Ruckus products, and Xclaim for that respect, handle b and g/n clients well together and hence this is not available for easiness of configuration or is it just that this feature is only available on Ruckus Enterprise and in the case of Xclaim you will have to live of what the issues of b and g/n create ?

Thanks

The ruckus enterprise grade Access points and controllers support enabling/disabling of 802.11 data rates(Hence disabling 802.11b clients) and this feature is not present in the XClaim APs.

Yes, I agree that b only clients do slow down the network, but considering the product market, we currently don't have the feature in the XClaim product line. But on a lighter note , the number of 802.11b legacy devices in the market today are getting lesser and lesser. :)

• SpringsSprings Member Posts: 114
    edited April 2015

UniFi Band steering??? NOPE.
    I am looking at a gastro pup in the other window.
    There are 64 live clients right now.
    13 On 5G. and 51 on 2.4.
    Most are Apple devices so I know they have dual band radios

UniFi has a Max clients per radio in 3.2.10. I don't think they have "make these numbers even."
    1 AP has 30 clients. 1 has 18. The last one has 16
    And a Pic from Ubnt.
    http://community.ubnt.com/ubnt/attachments/ubnt/UniFi/48820/1/Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 22.53.22.png

@Springs said:
    UniFi Band steering??? NOPE.
    I am looking at a gastro pup in the other window.
    There are 64 live clients right now.
    13 On 5G. and 51 on 2.4.
    Most are Apple devices so I know they have dual band radios

UniFi has a Max clients per radio in 3.2.10. I don't think they have "make these numbers even."
    1 AP has 30 clients. 1 has 18. The last one has 16
    And a Pic from Ubnt.
    http://community.ubnt.com/ubnt/attachments/ubnt/UniFi/48820/1/Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 22.53.22.png

Yes, true, this is exactly what I have observed, no band steering on Unifi, nowadays this is a must since more and more devices are capable of 5Ghz. And yes, load balancing works but kindof, it limits the clients per radio, but does not distribute them evenly.

My logic is now, substitute 2 x Unifi AP-Pro for 1 x Xi-3, yes I mention in the start of the thread Xi-2, but I guess it makes more sense the Xi-3.

One last question, my Idea is to preconfigure the units before I sent them to install, I guess that this is no issue, Can I just use the web based configuration for initial configuration and further remote maintenance if needed ?

I don't plan to use the harmony app if I can avoid that with the web based configuration.

Thanks for your help.

• SpringsSprings Member Posts: 114

You may have to ssh into a cranky AP to get it to update firmware. Once the Web interface is installed... it like configuring A STAND ALONE AP.

Would be nice if you could set something like minimum RSSI so a sticky client would get the boot...

However, there would be no load balancing between APs. There is band steering. Also the coverage and throughput of a Xi3 stomped all over the UAP ACS at my test site. As I have pointed out before... the UAP PRO did better then the UAP AC.

@Springs said:
    You may have to ssh into a cranky AP to get it to update firmware. Once the Web interface is installed... it like configuring A STAND ALONE AP.

Would be nice if you could set something like minimum RSSI so a sticky client would get the boot...

However, there would be no load balancing between APs. There is band steering. Also the coverage and throughput of a Xi3 stomped all over the UAP ACS at my test site. As I have pointed out before... the UAP PRO did better then the UAP AC.

In my case the minimum RSSI is not needed since I am sure that all the clients will be within close range and good RSSI, load balancing between two AP will be a good feature, that is true, is the only feature I am missing from the Xclaim range, at least, having a way to set up max number of clients per radio will be a good feature, that will ensure that in a multiple AP scenario I can somehow control what is the load on a unique AP.

I have another question, I have been seeing the web based configurations screenshots in the 5G and 2.4G common wireless configuration tab there is the option of "wireless mode", what options are available there?.

• Below are the options available:

Xi-2

2.4 GHz - (802.11b/g/n)
    5 GHz - (802.11a/n)

Xi-3

2.4 GHz - (802.11b/g/n)
    5 GHz - (802.11ac/a/n)

@rameshc said:
    Below are the options available:

Xi-3

2.4 GHz - (802.11b/g/n)
    5 GHz - (802.11ac/a/n)

Yes, but is this the only option or can I select between some combinations ? say for 2.4G b/g/n or g/n and for 5G ac/a/n or ac/n

• Those are the only option available.