Firmware update procedure for always on AP's

NeerupNeerup Member Posts: 8
edited September 2015 in FAQs

Hi

I would like to know how the update procedure works for AP's that are always on.

I have an ap running a fictive firmware version, let's call it AA. My AP is always on, so when firmware BB is released my ap downloads the new firmware, and put's it on it's second partition. If my AP reboots, it will start up with firmware BB, correct?

What if it is never rebooted? Will it keep running firmware AA, or is there a timeout, X seconds from sucessfully downloading firmware BB, ap will reboot and install it?

What will hapen if firmware CC is released? My AP is running firmware AA, and it has downloaded firmware BB. Must it reboot and install the firmware that is downloaded, or will it overwrite firmware BB with firmware CC?

Most AP's are always on, and scheduled reboots are once a year. If AP's don't overwrite whatever firmware they have downloaded, when a new firmware is released, we could end up with AP's running very very old firmwares.

Regards
Martin

Best Answer

Answers

• vybhavramvybhavram Xpert, Moderator Posts: 1,064

Hello @Neerup ,

Thank you for your question.

The AP performs a firmware check when:

• It reboots
    • Once every 24 hours.

If it finds a new version, it downloads it and stores it in it's secondary partition. As you rightly said, upon reboot this secondary partition becomes the primary partition and the AP boots with the latest reboots.

Yes, if the APs are not rebooted they would constantly download the latest update and keep it in their secondary partition. We do not want to autmate the reboot just to ensure that the customer's Wi-Fi service does not get affected. So here is our solution:

When the AP downloads the latest firmware version, in CloudManager, in the Access Points's section , the "UPGRADE" button lights up. THis tells the user that upgrades for the APs are ready and the user can then click on that button. This will essentially reboot the AP and perform the partition switch as expected.

We are coming up with better ways to notify the user about AP's pending updation. We would love to hear your suggestions on how you would like to see this implemented.

Regards,
    Vybhav

• danieljandersondanieljanderson Member Posts: 32

What about letting schedule reboots for AP's?
    Either as one time event, or maybe every Sunday at 3:00AM.

• NeerupNeerup Member Posts: 8

Hi Vybhav

Scheduling would be the best option i my opinion. I agree that it should be something that we can configure through the Cloud manager, it should not be a specfic time for all Xclaim AP's. It will not suit everybody to have to reboot at a given time, and it would be a massive load for your Upgrade servers.

Regards
    Martin

• JohnKJohnK Member Posts: 12

How will I know if there is a new firmware version ready, I use Web UI?

• JohnKJohnK Member Posts: 12

Thanks for your answer, but I don't want, and need, anyone to have internet access to my Xclaim, including myself ;-)
    I hope that an update indicator feature become available sometime, but until then, I'll just check in here, and reboot to update my device if a new one is available

• vybhavramvybhavram Xpert, Moderator Posts: 1,064

Hello JohnK,

We will definitely keep you posted if we decide to add this feature.

Regards,
    Vybhav