How many APs can Harmony manage?

ericsrericsr Member Posts: 457
Harmony was built and envisioned to small deployments at local retail stores, coffee shops and other small businesses. The suggestion is 1-6 APs is probably the sweet spot. More than this at any one location is likely going to benefit from having an on-site controller.

Comments

• fullbarsfullbars Member Posts: 11
    ericsr said:

Harmony was built and envisioned to small deployments at local retail stores, coffee shops and other small businesses. The suggestion is 1-6 APs is probably the sweet spot. More than this at any one location is likely going to benefit from having an on-site controller.

What does suggested mean? I get that this is probably not a product for a 100 AP deployment, but what about ~10 AP deployment?
  • ericsrericsr Member Posts: 457
    @fullbars‌ Keeping with our goal of simplicity, the feeling is when you get about 6-8 APs you are likely going to want some more advanced features. Also remember that each of these APs gets configured independently and really does not function in a group setting. So, you have to discover them all and then configure each one. This is not a hard task, but something to consider. In the first release we aimed straight at the lightweight deployments, hence my sub 6 setup. We do have some folks with 8 and it works. I am just trying to be as transparent as possible. Wouldn't you rather me tell you that then to say sure, go put 25 on this and your experience is less than stellar? :smiley:
  • fullbarsfullbars Member Posts: 11
    ericsr said:

@fullbars‌ Keeping with our goal of simplicity, the feeling is when you get about 6-8 APs you are likely going to want some more advanced features. Also remember that each of these APs gets configured independently and really does not function in a group setting. So, you have to discover them all and then configure each one. This is not a hard task, but something to consider. In the first release we aimed straight at the lightweight deployments, hence my sub 6 setup. We do have some folks with 8 and it works. I am just trying to be as transparent as possible. Wouldn't you rather me tell you that then to say sure, go put 25 on this and your experience is less than stellar? :smiley:

That makes more sense :smiley:
  • wil4dwil4d Member Posts: 1
    I am in the AV business and am excited about this product, I think it will satisfy some of my smaller clients needs. Is the limit,6-8, just because of the config issues or are there actually software limitations on how the APs work together?

I have installed systems that use controllers, Ruckus, and was also wondering if this system utilizes any sort of controller software that runs on the APs, or are all the APs independent and are only linked through the configuration app running on an IOS or Android device?
  • GTHillGTHill Xpert Posts: 27
    There is no limit in the app for how many APs Harmony can manage. But the intended design is <10 APs. Anything more and having ZoneFlex with a controller makes sense.

There is no controller software. They are all independent APs managed through the Harmony app.

GT
  • FarroosFarroos Member Posts: 1
    Does xclaim AP support zoneflex (or does zoneflex support xclaim APs) ?

Also if you can recommend a setup of 12 APs (preferably xclaim) in a 4-floors building with zoneflex.

Please give specific model numbers so I can read more about them.

And GT, I watched a few of your YouTube videos, you explain the technology pretty well.
  • ericsrericsr Member Posts: 457
    Hi @Farroos‌ You can find the answer to your first question here http://forum.xclaimwireless.com/discussion/5/can-xclaim-ap-s-work-with-ruckus-controllers-or-harmony-with-ruckus-ap-s#latest

I would suggest reading through the FAQs as you will see we really suggest this for a small (<6 AP deployment). Your 4 floor building is probably best suited with ZoneFlex.

Good luck!