Separate 2.4 and 5GHz WLANs to keep 5GHz traffic off my 2.4GHz network

DAVIDBARROWDAVIDBARROW Member Posts: 25

I've a number of AirPlay receivers that operate at 2.4GHz. I'm finding that streaming music to these suffers drop outs. I'm wondering if I need to need my devices that can operate at 5GHz off of the 2.4GHz network to reduce the traffic. Is this a good idea and if so, how should I set up parallel 2.4 and 5GHZ WLANs - when I tried neither could connect to the internet although both used VLAN1.

Regards

David Barrow

Comments

• vybhavramvybhavram Xpert, Moderator Posts: 1,064

Hello @DAVIDBARROW ,

One way to do this could be as follows:

• Configure WLAN#1 to operate only on 2.4Ghz
    • Configure WLAN#2 to operate only on 5GHz

Apply WLANs to the AP. Individually configure clients to join their intended WLAN.

Have you given this approach a shot?

Regards,
    Vybhav

• DAVIDBARROWDAVIDBARROW Member Posts: 25

Yes I've created Lowen24 and Lowen5 WLANs for 2.4 and 5GHz respectively alongside Lowen which has both. All WLANs are shown as deployed to all APs, however only Lowen and Lowen24 are listed as available by my iPad which is next to one of the APs.

• DAVIDBARROWDAVIDBARROW Member Posts: 25

After quite a while Lowen5 became visible on some APs. How long should it take to propagate a WLAN addition or change across a network of connected APs and why should it take much longer for the second WLAN to be added?

• vybhavramvybhavram Xpert, Moderator Posts: 1,064

Hello @DAVIDBARROW ,

Can you give us an idea about how long it took?

The config application must be applied within a minute IF the AP has connectivity to the Cloud. However, in some cases takes about 60 seconds for the 5GHz radio to come up, if that's the first WLAN that is being applied. This happens on the case where the AP chooses the DFS channel, so the AP has now perform a radar check and then operate on the channel.

Regards,
    Vybhav