Responsive web design or native app?

ericsrericsr Member Posts: 457
i don't want to make this a philosophical debate but I am interested in opinions with simple answers.

Would you like a responsive web design that worked on the major browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, IE) and mobile devices or a native app? There are pros and cons to both but I am gauging interest.

We are moving towards a cloud option and I appreciate feedback.

Thanks.

Comments

• aelibbyaelibby Member Posts: 72
    edited February 2015
    Responsive Web Design.
  • ericsrericsr Member Posts: 457
    ericsr said:

i don't want to make this a philosophical debate but I am interested in opinions with simple answers.

Would you like a responsive web design that worked on the major browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, IE) and mobile devices or a native app? There are pros and cons to both but I am gauging interest.

Thanks.

You do lose some integrated features, like native camera access, TouchID, app notifications, but you also gain a level platform and that does not require approval from Apple to support! Interested in more comments for sure.
  • TreeemanTreeeman Member Posts: 7
    Responsive Web Design
  • aelibbyaelibby Member Posts: 72
    ericsr said:

ericsr said:

Thanks.

You do lose some integrated features, like native camera access, TouchID, app notifications, but you also gain a level platform and that does not require approval from Apple to support! Interested in more comments for sure.
    Exactly. You also gain a platform that is platform independent, so you can use whatever device you want and also not be locked into only using 1 device.
  • VanburenVanburen Member Posts: 28
    So the idea would be to ditch the harmony App entirely?

I can see the benefits you guys have already mentioned, but would the setup process be harder for end users? The benefit of the App is it can scan the local network and find all the APs, would the new system involve going to a web interface on an AP which would scan the network to discover the other APs?
    Vanburen said:

I can see the benefits you guys have already mentioned, but would the setup process be harder for end users? The benefit of the App is it can scan the local network and find all the APs, would the new system involve going to a web interface on an AP which would scan the network to discover the other APs?

Nope, the current Harmony app would remain as is for local networks. This is JUST for cloud managed Aps. Trying to determine if we would lose customers for not having an app in the store but instead just going to cloud.xyz.com.

Thanks
  • VanburenVanburen Member Posts: 28
    ericsr said:

Vanburen said:

Nope, the current Harmony app would remain as is for local networks. This is JUST for cloud managed Aps. Trying to determine if we would lose customers for not having an app in the store but instead just going to cloud.xyz.com.

Thanks
    Ah ok, that makes more sense. In that case, definitely a web app. If anything, having two apps in app store will just lead to users getting confused.
  • emaackemaack Member Posts: 2
    responsive web design please
  • bajas99bajas99 Member Posts: 14
    Why not build the cloud.xyz.com feature into today's harmony app? That say if you build the web cloud first
    bajas99 said:

Why not build the cloud.xyz.com feature into today's harmony app? That say if you build the web cloud first

Totally different platform and expectations. Harmony will stay for local management only.
  • arcane613arcane613 Member Posts: 10
    I would favour responsive web design for cloud management (assuming major desktop and mobile browser support, as stated).
    arcane613 said:

I would favour responsive web design for cloud management (assuming major desktop and mobile browser support, as stated).

Yep, thats the goal.
  • liolio Member Posts: 6
  • wiseguywiseguy Member Posts: 8
    Responsive design obviously.
    Harmony probably can stay as first set-up tool and local management tool, mainly for very small installs (1 AP). It also may be improved to be handy tool in a bit bigger networks (2-5 APs). With multisite (even if just 1 AP on each site it can't be a main management solution anyway.
    Obviously it will be difficult to add much features to Harmony (and not needed in fact, as web is anyway much better from all points of view for any feature-reach management and also easier to support).
    I hope there will be some basic free cloud service, even if more sophisticated features will be not free -- it would be really different preposition. There are now different cloud solutions on market:
    -- free cloud controllers, which work with very basic (low-level) but specific APs,
    -- very costly (and feature reach) cloud controllers working with very average (vendor specific and expensive) APs,
    -- almost free feature-less (almost) cloud controller which works with low-level (also vendor specific, and not so cheap anymore with 802.11ac) APs
    -- there is of cause Ruckus hosted SCG service which is very good and works with the best APs available on market, but it is overkill (and too expensive) for SMB/SOHO market It also still lacks some features, already available on enterprise Ruckus platform.

Today there is no good free (or almost free) basic cloud platform working with reasonably good APs or even reasonably priced feature-rich platform working with middle-class APs - but this market segment will not stay unoccupied forever...
    Because of existing Ruckus know-how in this area, it would be surprising if such platform would be not in plans -- otherwise why bother to start all XClaim project at all?
  • SpringsSprings Member Posts: 114
    Ditch the App entirely.

Make the cloud interface work well in a browser and move on. If it had a mobile version too... well waste minimal time on it.

First and foremost... WEB BROWSER INTERFACE! Works on all browsers.
    That is where the focus NEEDS to be.
  • SpringsSprings Member Posts: 114
    Ditch the App entirely.

Make the cloud interface work well in a browser and move on. If it had a mobile version too... well waste minimal time on it.

Springs said:

Ditch the App entirely.

There certainly is a use case for native apps and we will look at them after web interface is done.
  • MartyMarty Member Posts: 2
    Yes - a Browser based viewing platform would be a great touch. A lot easier to monitor at a desk than a phone.
  • unifiedtsunifiedts Member Posts: 2
    My 2 Pennies

- Cloud Based Setup by Activating/Initiating a MAC Address to the Cloud Controller. (excellent way to track and inventory AP's)
    - This offers a single dashboard to manage multiple networks or AP's in a central location. (Think open-mesh.com)
    - It may help with technical support, they can help users and do a "Look In" to the dashboard to see logs, or AP statuses.
    - We can have the option to provision at the office then ship or deploy, then once the AP hits LAN or WAN Internet access, we can manage AP's via the cloud controller.
    - This may open a new Managed/Leased Service Opportunity for resellers/integrators.
    - Having a product depend on an app, may be sexy now, but long term; browsers will be here till the end of time.
    - Save some development costs on both sides of the app fence (Android and iTunes) and go with web and mobile GUI for setting up the AP's out at the site as needed.
    - Allow us to be independent from the site we are to deploy these to offer remote tech support.
    - I learned that being at the site and scratching my head in front of the customer was not a good experience. if I could have pre-provisioned these with known customer (router) settings, I would have delivered a product and been out of the customer location within 1 hour.
    - At this time I had a Long learning curve with app issues right out of the box while in front of the customer.
    - There is an infinite amount of possibilities when not app dependent.
    - Long Term; we would love to hang our hat with a Ruckus backed company.
    - open DNS integration or alike.
    - License Free per AP or Annual subscription to the management dashboard only.
    - Walled Garden, Captive Portal options with design capability (splashaccess.com).

Sorry guys that was more like 50 cents !! :smiley: )
  • clou200clou200 Member Posts: 2

I can think of many very good reasons to have a web interface for a cloud controller. What is a good reason to have an app?
    Look at a line of product like Meraki. Sure the app is a tad flashier but functionally its a PITA

• vybhavramvybhavram Xpert, Moderator Posts: 1,051

Thanks for your feedback @clou200 . Please watch this space. We are working on stuff that should interest you :)

• salvasalva Member Posts: 10

My two cents, browser based configuration, either cloud or locally.

• WebAPP Cloud based management will be released in couple of months.

• ProgjesProgjes Member Posts: 41

responsive web, definately. I have a 'smart' thermostat at home, configurable by app, but not by iOS versions below 8. So please spare the effort on creating compatibility for phone (iOS) versions and create a great responsive website.

btw. only since xclaim offered a webbased configuration, made me choose xclaim.

• gbaldwingbaldwin Member Posts: 4

Hopefully after all this input you are developing a cloud application that will provide resellers with a dashboard to manage their xClaim customers and their APs! THus providing the option for a managed service.
    Any news on the timescale for this?