Client Isolation is Listed, Captive Portal?

The specs list having client isolation.

Does Xclaim provide for a Captive Portal for Terms of Service before using network?

Comments

• ericsrericsr Member Posts: 457
    At this time there is no captive portal. We are working on providing some options for that in the future. Client isolation now will provide "wireless client isolation" for those clients on the same AP.
  • aelibbyaelibby Member Posts: 72
    Plus 1 for Captive portal request. If you are targetting the Ubiquiti and Open Mesh market having captive-portal capability is a must.
  • WiFiGuruWiFiGuru Member Posts: 3
    Eric,

No captive portal? This feature is really basic feature and everyone (sorry Keith Parsons) needs it.
    I think xclaim product line was announced to early... is there a rush ? Prepare Your product better next time, please.
    Thanks @WiFiGuru‌ for your input. Its certainly appreciated. There was no rush. The focus on day one is simplicity. Think about a small retail shop that just wants reliable Wi-Fi. The beauty of this product is the ability to update and improve it quickly and easily. Keep the feedback coming.
    Most retail shops will want/require a captive portal to at least display terms and conditions.
  • GTHillGTHill Xpert Posts: 27
    Most retail shops will want/require a captive portal to at least display terms and conditions.
    We'll definitely continue to monitor the feature requests and prioritize. Thanks again for all the great comments and questions!

GT
  • SpringsSprings Member Posts: 114
    Anyone providing internet access to the Public generally wants/needs terms of service for some indemnity.

I think you need to put much more priority on this...

You know who provides guest networks and doesn't care about Captive. HOMES. Maybe we are looking at a different product space.
    @Springs‌ There are plenty of services that do this, and even some wired devices. Its not critical but I hear you.
  • dan_computerxdan_computerx Member Posts: 26
    Or an opportunity for partnering. There is a lot of value add potential to a portal. It makes sense for Ruckus/Xclaim to provide hooks for third parties to provide a portal with marketing features on a subscription basis. My clients would jump at that.
    That was my point @dan_computerx‌. There are services that provide a great captive portal experience and add social-sign on, content filtering, etc.
  • dan_computerxdan_computerx Member Posts: 26
    > That was my point @dan_computerx‌.

@ericsr‌ And providing a basic solution for free isn't doing anyone a favor. I'm with you :-)
    just to be clear, I like the idea of captive portal. We are just prioritizing features and we are starting with a basic set (yes, I am aware its controlled today) but we can easily update as necessary.
  • josejose Member Posts: 68
    How does the access points get firmware updates?
  • IguanIguan Member Posts: 9
    I think that captive portal requirement depends on country. Here almost nobody sees the point to annoy clients with it.
    edited October 2014
    Igual, where is here? The owner should care.
    You are not really annoying the clients, instead you are providing FREE WiFi. There are many reasons why a captive portal is useful, but I'll just say this -Control, control, control-
    One of the most important reasons to have a Captive Portal is to present your terms and conditions of use for the internet so the user has to agree to them. Kind of a legal thing.
  • IguanIguan Member Posts: 9
    jose said:

Igual, where is here? The owner should care.

You are not really annoying the clients, instead you are providing FREE WiFi. There are many reasons why a captive portal is useful, but I'll just say this -Control, control, control-

At the moment dividing myself between Estonia/Latvia/Finland/Russia, but I haven't seen it used much in whole Europe. Note, we are talking about small businesses here, not about big international hotels, airports with big legal teams etc. It's either simple username/password for clients just to avoid "everyone passing is connecting" or nothing at all.

You don't control actually anything with it, really. Nobody reads your terms and conditions anyway, nobody cares (unless there is a "will sue you" culture background) etc.

Of course there are use cases for it - you want to collect emails, show ads etc, but just for terms and conditions? I completely agree with Keith Parsons regarding this topic.
    Must be different in Europe. Most US companies want their Terms and Conditions shown to get online. Working at a hotspot company, we need our Terms shown on any network we install for just this purpose.

In case you were unaware, the US is a pretty "sue you" happy country and this helps cover you if it happens.

Not only that but it is a nicer way of forcing a user to enter a password than WPA.

It seems like Xclaim will make a great home AP to compete against Belkin, Netgear, and Linksys. But so far it is not even close to the same league as Ubiquiti or Open Mesh as far as features go. When it does get there it will be fantastic as we have been yearning for a low cost Ruckus solution to our lower end properties where we use Open Mesh.
    @aelibby‌ Thanks for your feedback. We are offering a simple solution and we never mentioned the other companies you do. There are certainly trade offs forcing someone to manage via the cloud or a software platform you have to download onto your PC. I am appreciative of your comments and hope you will stick with us and we just start this journey into helping small business owners.
    We hope some of these features are added as we are chomping at the bit for a product like this from Ruckus.
  • NOLAWiFiNOLAWiFi Member Posts: 1
    Seems this product set with the current capabilities is focused on allowing a small business to "run/provide" their own WiFi without the need of a VAR. With no remote monitoring capability and the lack of captive portal, this solution seems to compete against VARs selling managed services. I think what I am hearing between the lines in comments is that VARs are looking for a low cost, scalable solution that does not have ongoing license fees like a Meraki, Aerhive or other solution. Providers of managed WiFi HotSpot services are looking for a low cost solution where they can charge a coffee shop, restaurant etc. a nominal monthly fee for monitoring and supporting a small network for them. The big question is what "Value" can a VAR bring to the table with this product if it is designed and focused with the specific capability of allowing a small retail shop to setup WiFi on their own with no IT support. Remote configuration service, remote monitoring services, integration services, custom portal capability are all ways that VARs market their Value to HotSpot locations.
    @NOLAWiFi‌ You are right with several of these. We certainly see the need to make this easy for people but we have left the door open on some items, like integration services and custom captive portal.
    @NOLAWiFi‌ You forgot to mention guest support :smile:
  • steelev3steelev3 Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2015
    I would love to see a custom captive portal added! This feature is what's really holding me back.