Exceptions for Isolated Mode

H1ghland3rH1ghland3r Member Posts: 2

I have an XClaim Xi-3 and have a guest network configured on it for visitors to use. I have recently switched to a local network DNS for content control purposes and have noticed that this configuration no longer works unless I disable Client Isolation.
Is there anyway to include a local LAN exception either via MAC address or IP so that a Client Isolated WiFi network can still see that particular device on the local network.?

NB: I did double check that it wasn't something else but the isolated network can access internet addresses through the LAN DNS with Isolation switched off, and immediately cannot when Isolation is enabled without changing anything else.

Comments

• shriramrsshriramrs Member, Xpert, Moderator Posts: 167

Hi @H1ghland3r ,

You can use the MAC filtering feature to filter the clients based on the MAC addresses while configuring the Wifi network.

Regards,
    Shriram

• H1ghland3rH1ghland3r Member Posts: 2

Ok, that's good information, thank you.

Couple of additional queries. Is it possible to do this outwith the CloudManager.? I have been administering my AP locally without using the CloudManager and would prefer to continue to do so.

Secondly, if I was to use this feature to create a whitelist for the LAN DNS, would I also have to add MAC addresses for every other device that is allowed to connect to that WLAN.? This isn't really feasible as the intention is for this to be a guest network and therefore my manually updating the whitelist with the MAC address of every visitor's device is obviously not going to work.!!! Would the intention be therefore, to create a blacklist for the guest WLAN that consists of every device on the LAN that I don't want the guest WLAN to have access to.?

• shriramrsshriramrs Member, Xpert, Moderator Posts: 167

Hi @H1ghland3r ,

MAC filtering feature is not supported in the local mode i.e., while managing using web UI/Harmony App.
    Yes. you need to add the MAC addresses of devices in the blacklist so that those devices will be denied access to the guest WLAN.

Regards,
    Shriram