Xi-3 configuration, general thoughts

vguyardvguyard Member Posts: 3

Hello,

I have started purchasing the Xi-3 models for our shops and I have had a somewhat mixed experience. I love the idea of managing all the APs through cloud manager and it certainly makes my life easier, to a point.
However I have had to battle for quite a while on several occasions to get some APs to register/start working, and on these occasions I was very disapointed not being able to find a PDF documenting simple things like LED meaning (red, greenn flashinng what sequence) and having to resort to hunting down the info on the forums.

So far my only solution has been to reset the APs a few times untill I get it to the right state.

Now I have an issue where customers are reporting that they can connect to the wifi network but then have no internet access, their fix at the moment is to forget the network and reconnect. They have also mentioned that they cannot use the 5GHz network, same symptoms, they connect but have no internet access.

The APs are always configured with 2 different SSID for 2.4 & 5GHz networks, the channel width is 40 for 5GHz and 20 for 2.4GHz and the rest is done automagically.

The problem is that I have very little information as to what is going on in the AP, the cloud manager does not give me any detailed info and I do not know if I can ssh into the AP (documentation?) to check logs and stop guessing as to what is going on.

What can I do to troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Vincent

Comments

• shriramrsshriramrs Member, Xpert, Moderator Posts: 179

Hi @vguyard ,

Please find the Training and configuration documents in the following links

http://www.xclaimwireless.com/training
    http://www.xclaimwireless.com/library

AP Status LED Pattern and meaning:

1. SOLID RED - AP has not received an IP address. Xclaim APs need to receive an IP address from your DHCP server. Please check if you have a DHCP server in your network. If you do, please check the DHCP server logs to verify if the AP has been granted a DHCP lease.

2. BLINKING RED - The AP has received an IP address but is unable to reach CloudManager via the internet. This usually indicates an internet connectivity issue. Also , if you have a firewall in your network, please allow SSL(TCP 443) , ICMP and NTP (UDP 123) traffic to passthrough. These 3 ports need to be opened to ensure that the AP communicates with CloudManager and vice-versa.

3. BLINKING GREEN - The AP is able to reach cloudmanager but has not been registered yet. In order to register , please create an account on cloudmanager and add the serial number of the AP.

4. SOLID GREEN - The AP is online and is functioning correctly.

Can you please set a static channel on the AP for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz radios? The problem you are experiencing with no internet is due to the channelfly behavior where AP is trying to find a optimal channel with least interference.

Regards,
    Shriram

• vguyardvguyard Member Posts: 3

Hello,
    Thanks for your reply shriramrs, I had looked at both links you provided but the getting started guide does not provide the information I was looking for and the videos, well they're not searcheable in the same way a PDF is.

Thanks you as well for providing the info regarding the LED status.

I have made the change suggested regarding configuring static channels for both 2.4 and 5Ghz radios and will report back in a few days.

Regards,

Vincent

• vguyardvguyard Member Posts: 3

I just wanted to say that after making these changes I still have a problem with this particular AP. The symptom I have been able to witness is that my phone cannot get an IP from the AP, it shows up as 0.0.0.0 in cloud manager. I wanted to check the DHCP settings on the router where the AP is connected but I do not have to login info and it's going to take a while to get that information from the telco company.

I will report back once I have been able to investigate further.

• kabuchkabuch Member Posts: 2

I have two XI3 in remote location, both are LED's are solid red. WiFi is working and people can connect to the internet. How do I get the AP back in green LED? and it seems that the Ethernet pass-though port on both AP are not working? can you help

• shriramrsshriramrs Member, Xpert, Moderator Posts: 179

Hi @kabuch ,

The APs have lost connectivity with the Cloudmanager. Please reboot the AP twice with the gap of 10 minutes and move to the latest AP firmware (2.2.0.0.28).
    For further details , please check -> http://forum.xclaimwireless.com/discussion/1278/ap-firmware-update-released-2-2-0-0-28/p1?new=1

Regards,
    Shriram