New APs non responsive

I installed six new xi-1 APs to a switch connected to the internet and waited about five minutes, power cycled them and then added them in inventory, tenant, created network, etc in the Cloud Manager. They seemed non-responsive, displaying only the wireless setup SSID, and I realized that I had the switch connected to the wrong port of my firewall on the initial bootup period of the APs so the APs possibly had no internet connection then. I pressed the reset on the APs for eight seconds, deleted them from inventory, added them back but they still act non-responsive to any command. I notice when I plug the Ethernet back into the AP that I get a red light for a few seconds, then it goes steady green, which is not how the other APs we have installed act. What are my options, or additional steps to bring them to life?

Thanks, Jim

Comments

• Hello Jim,

Are you able to see a Xclaim-setup SSID broadcasted from the AP's ?

Thanks
    Ramesh

• CrowtalksCrowtalks Member Posts: 4

Yes, I can see the setup SSID, but they do not respond to any command from the Cloud and when I add them to a tenant and create a network SSID they will not display the custom SSID...it is like they are stuck in basic mode...

Thanks

• Hello @Crowtalks,

Is the custom SSID assigned to the AP ?

Thanks
    Ramesh

We seem to have found the issue with the APs. I had registered the APs with the Cloud before they had actually gone online to download their firmware. For whatever reason, this prevented the APs from doing their first, basic setup and load. My coworker removed them from the Cloud inventory and then connected one of them to the internet, allowing it to download its firmware and it now appears to be reacting correctly.

So apparently you cannot add these APs to the Cloud inventory until the basic 5 minute firmware download has been accomplished.

Thanks, Jim

I left a couple of things out in my latest comment about our findings...we had set the APs up initially without internet access and then added them to the Cloud Inventory...the difference we discovered is if the APs have to be reset under these conditions (pressing the reset for 8 seconds), we found that the APs have to be removed from the Cloud inventory and independent for that process to be successful. After that it reached out and loaded it's firmware.