Happy Holidays from Xclaim: Goodies are available.....

ericsrericsr Member Posts: 457
edited January 2015 in What's New
We are staggering a rollout of new AP firmware that will implement a fully functioning web interface. This was the single biggest request over the last 45 days and we listened. We have included some needed features, such as:
  • Can designate SSID to particular radio
  • Hide SSID
  • Rate shaping per SSID
We hope this interface is welcomed and we are also hard at work on the next release of Harmony (iOS and Android).

I have put together a walkthrough of the web UI so you can review in advance. Feedback is always welcome.

New Web Interface

The APs will check for new firmware every 24 hours and then the app can notify you of the update. You can also be sneaky and reboot your AP (should then download the update) but you would need to reboot it 2 times as well to make sure all is set (wait about 3 mins in between reboots). The first rollouts will be available about 7PM EST.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I would encourage you to use the web interface OR the Harmony app. They are not in sync yet as we are waiting on app submission to consolidate the configuration. You can certainly use the web interface as your only form of configuration as there is no longer that requirement to use the app. The Harmony app is about to get much better as we have improved device discovery and configuration. Look for a new updated in January for both platforms. You could use the app to discover your APs (so you know the IP addresses) and then use only the web interface for everything else.

Thank you to everyone for the GOOD and BAD comments. It helps to make us deliver a better product.

Sincerely,

Xclaim team

Comments

• sx9090sx9090 Member Posts: 16
    THANK YOU!!! As part of my testing I nuked the harmony app from my phone and re-installed, only to remember it won't pull current settings from the AP. I was dreading having to go through yet another factory reset. You should have feedback at approximately 7:10 EST if the update procedure goes as expected ;)
    So... did the roll-out get delayed? By my clock is 9pm EST and still no firmware.
  • ericsrericsr Member Posts: 457
    Its there. You should reboot your AP and then check the app. It should show build 47. You can also just reboot 2 times (with about a 5 min pause in between) and it should update. I just did a unit and it worked fine.

edited December 2014
    I get a lot of nothing. Define "reboot" - is a "restart device" from the app acceptable? Do I have to power it off for an extended period of time? I've pulled power for ~5 seconds, I've done "restart device" from the app about 10 times, I've pushed the physical restart button on the AP itself.

I've been watching rrd graphs for the VLAN it's on and it definitely hasn't attempted to download any software that I can see.
    A reboot is just powering it off and powering it back on. That will force a check of the update server. The app should notify you if its available in the Stats screen. Remember, its a staggered roll out. You just need to give it some time. I assure you, your device will get it.
    If you want to expedite your upgrade, here is a trick. You can SSH to your AP and check a few things.

Had to issue an "fw update" from the cli and it finally worked. Salvation - TV on wifi, able to change passwords and SSID's consistently. So far 0 complaints, much, much better than the IOS app!
    Awesome! Enjoy.
    Interested on any feedback from those using the web UI. Please let us know.

ERic
  • RuckusmanRuckusman Member Posts: 26
    Hi

I noticed update ... few minutes waiting ...

YES .... works fast on pc and smartphone, simple look ... thats great
    NO flash,java, bla bla bla super duper fancygraphic... thaths also great ;)

I like it very much! Love on first sight :))))))))

Peter

Good to hear Peter. Thanks for the feedback.
    My feedback: I ran through the config yesterday evening, and everything I needed to config was in the web GUI. I haven't had to even think about it since - that's about as glowing a recommendation as I could give it. It had the settings I wanted which I've configured, and at this point it *just works*. Good job guys. You've already gotten two referrals from me - the original RF was awesome, the configuration was abysmal. The Web GUI has shored up all of the issues I originally had.
  • AirwaveAirwave Member Posts: 3
    I unplugged the AP and it came back up with the new fw. I am able to access using my laptop and see that it also has rate limiting. Excellent!
    sx9090 said:

My feedback: I ran through the config yesterday evening, and everything I needed to config was in the web GUI. I haven't had to even think about it since - that's about as glowing a recommendation as I could give it. It had the settings I wanted which I've configured, and at this point it *just works*. Good job guys. You've already gotten two referrals from me - the original RF was awesome, the configuration was abysmal. The Web GUI has shored up all of the issues I originally had.

Fantastic to hear. More updates will be coming to the app in the new year and I hope you give it another chance.
    Airwave said:

I unplugged the AP and it came back up with the new fw. I am able to access using my laptop and see that it also has rate limiting. Excellent!

Let me know your thoughts.
  • Member183016Member183016 Member Posts: 2
    I noticed in the pictures(I don't own one) how the 5 GHz network numbers go from 9-12 while 2.4 GHz is 1-4. Does this mean that there's room for 8 SSID per radio capability in the future?

I noticed in the pictures(I don't own one) how the 5 GHz network numbers go from 9-12 while 2.4 GHz is 1-4. Does this mean that there's room for 8 SSID per radio capability in the future?

No! :) Don't read to much into that. We have to do that for a very specific reason but there are no plans to expand SSID support past 4 (per radio). Hey, at least you can set them to your liking now. Happy Holidays!
  • Member183016Member183016 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2014
    ericsr said:

No! :) Don't read to much into that. We have to do that for a very specific reason but there are no plans to expand SSID support past 4 (per radio). Hey, at least you can set them to your liking now. Happy Holidays!
    Yeah, I understand. I'm sure many of the people here really appreciate the separate SSIDs.
  • josejose Member Posts: 68
    ericsr said:

Are we able to use the 5th SSID on the 2.4 This is for the xclaim-setup SSID which is disabled.

• josejose Member Posts: 68
    edited December 2014
    The interface is similar to the one on the Ruckus APs, I'm glad you guys use the same interface for the Xclaim APs. Maybe that's the reason why it jumps from 1-5 SSIDs on the 2.4 to 9-12 on the 5
  • dcshobbydcshobby Member Posts: 20
    edited December 2014
    I love the new Web GUI. Very fast and has just enough options to make us happy. One question though. I set the 2.4ghz channel size to 40 MHz and saved the change and noticed my macbook is connected to 2.4 at a 20mhz channel. So I rebooted the AP and checked the GUI again to make sure it says 40mhz channel which it does but when checking my macbook for the channel it still says 20 mhz.

Is there something wrong with the AP not setting correct channel size? I know eventually my Air will connect to the 80mhz channel on 5ghz but just curious about 2.4 and maximizing available bandwidth.

Another question. When the 5ghz band is set to 80mhz channel, will only devices capable of that size channel (802.11ac devices) be able to connect or will other 802.11n devices see the channel and be able to connect at a 40mhz channel? If they can't connect due to the channel size, will setting the channel to 40mhz allow them to connect even if they're not .11ac devices? Thank you

• dcshobbydcshobby Member Posts: 20
    Almost an hour later and my laptop still isn't connected to the 5ghz band even though signal is perfect. I'm at a -42 on 2.4ghz and still waiting for band steering to "steer" my laptop over to the nice 80mhz channel on 5ghz so I can pull 400 Mbps for my speeds instead of 100 Mbps on 2.4ghz. Any thoughts as to why my laptop isn't switching even with great signal? Thanks
    dcshobby said:

Almost an hour later and my laptop still isn't connected to the 5ghz band even though signal is perfect. I'm at a -42 on 2.4ghz and still waiting for band steering to "steer" my laptop over to the nice 80mhz channel on 5ghz so I can pull 400 Mbps for my speeds instead of 100 Mbps on 2.4ghz. Any thoughts as to why my laptop isn't switching even with great signal? Thanks

I would check to see what channel you are using. If its a DFS channel and your client doesn't support it, this is what you would experience. Even set to 80MHz, the client and AP will negotiate the proper channel width that the client supports. I am testing here on 80MHz with only 40MHz capable 11n client and it works fine.
    dcshobby said:

I love the new Web GUI. Very fast and has just enough options to make us happy. One question though. I set the 2.4ghz channel size to 40 MHz and saved the change and noticed my macbook is connected to 2.4 at a 20mhz channel. So I rebooted the AP and checked the GUI again to make sure it says 40mhz channel which it does but when checking my macbook for the channel it still says 20 mhz.

Is there something wrong with the AP not setting correct channel size? I know eventually my Air will connect to the 80mhz channel on 5ghz but just curious about 2.4 and maximizing available bandwidth.

Another question. When the 5ghz band is set to 80mhz channel, will only devices capable of that size channel (802.11ac devices) be able to connect or will other 802.11n devices see the channel and be able to connect at a 40mhz channel? If they can't connect due to the channel size, will setting the channel to 40mhz allow them to connect even if they're not .11ac devices? Thank you

This is what your client is negotiating. Apple does NOT support 40MHz on 2.4GHz. Sorry! The AP is broadcasting 40MHz though. Good luck.
  • SpringsSprings Member Posts: 114
    Rebooted about 3 times now. No update yet.

Put a reboot AP or UPDATE Firmware button in Harmony.