Bandsteering not optimal?

timd93timd93 Member Posts: 30

Hi

I've been considering xclaim for some time now for smb installations. We have one xi-3 running, however very few (dual-band) devices are going to 5GHz. I can't really debug anything since the RSSI indication is totally wrong on the dashboard.

If bandsteering doesn't work properly, this device is useless for me.

Are there any commands I can run via the console to debug this?

Please note that I am a wireless professional and not an average IT guy, so I'd like to know a bit more about implementations to be able to judge if xclaim would be any good for my customers.

Kind regards
Tim

Tagged:

Comments

• vybhavramvybhavram Xpert, Moderator Posts: 1,063

Hello @timd93 ,

Bandsteering works perfectly well for dual-band devices.

What is the issue that you are noticing?

Regards,
    Vybhav

• timd93timd93 Member Posts: 30

Well most dual-band capable devices are almost 100% of the time on 2.4GHz.
    From what RSSI threshold do you allow connection on 2.4GHz instead of pushing to 5GHz?

It might be that the RSSI is not good enough to get on 5GHz, but I can't check since RSSI reading is wrong in cloudmanager.

Regards
    Tim

Hello @timd93 ,

As you might already know, band-selection is highly dependent on client-driver behaviour. What band-balancing can do is make an effort to move the dual band client to 5GHz.

By default Xclaim APs try and coax all dual band clients to 5GHz as long as their SNR on the 2.4 and 5GHz radios is more than 20dB.

To observe band selection in action, you could either try performing a wireless packet capture on the 2.4GHz channel to verify that some of the probe responses for the dual-band client are being withheld.

Regards,
    Vybhav

• timd93timd93 Member Posts: 30

Thanks for the info!

If the client initially connected on 2.4GHz because the SNR at the time was too low, will you try to push it on 5Ghz once the SNR is good enough? Or does the client need to decide for itself to roam to 5GHZ?

Regards
    Tim

The client needs to decide to roam. Once connected, the AP doesn't deauth the client, irrespective of which radio the client is connected to.

Regards,
    Vybhav